TRE's/Tie Rod/Relay Rod/Steering Stabilizer Install Pics and Notes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick question

I just got this set as well. I was preparing the rods for install and noticed that when the rod ends are fully seated in the tie rod (with the jam nut) it appears to be ~ the lengh recommended in the FSM (~47.5" IIRC) - did you notice this or did you have some room to play?

Cheers, Hugh

i found that that even at zero play my factory rods were longer than the FSM spec!

btw, hugh clear out your pm box - message coming

Interesting. So the factory ones are too long, and these are too long as well. Is the adjustment that's typically needed to extend the rod vs shorten?

PS I've cleaned out the mail box

Cheers, Hugh

I just installed rod ends from Slee and also found that the castle nut goes too far down the threads for the cotter pin to lock it. My solution was to put 9/16" grade-8 lock washers under the nuts. Without the washer, the nut could back off enough that the end would be flopping around in the arm. When I ordered the ends I told Ben that I had seen posts about the nuts going down too far and asked if they had a fix. He said that he wasn't aware of any problem.

Aside from the nut/cotter pin issue these seem to be great rod ends, and you certainly can't beat the price.
rodend.JPG

I would have expected that the problem would have been sorted out by now.

landtank said:
just take off the nut and throw a few hardened washers on there.

This was exactly my solution. Then the cotter pin goes in one of the battlements of the castle nut.

Note to Beno-Did you quit smoking like Semlin suggested?

Cruiserdrew said:
This was exactly my solution. Then the cotter pin goes in one of the battlements of the castle nut.

Note to Beno-Did you quit smoking like Semlin suggested?

I also threw some washers in there.

CDrew: unfortunately, no. :frown: As evidenced ten minutes ago.
P3250004.JPG

Bumping this up
Was looking for torque figure for the steering stabilizer (damper) bolts for 70 series with front coil suspension.
Tried Toyota tech EU website (have a paid license), with no luck.
Found the information in the older FSM's published in this forum (thank you all!!!), but not sure if I can presume to be the same as he older models (leaf springs) not sure if it has the same thread size and type.
Would appreciate anyones help with this, as I might be loosing my mind....or eyesight, not finding it in current publications

Attached the old model figures
Thanks
Omri

Steering damper.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom