Tray Mountain Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wondering if anyone in the Atlanta area is up for a trip to Tray Mountain on Sunday Oct. 7. Just a day trip for some wheeling and goofing off. If so, PM me.

Fantastic! You're the official guide since I've never been there. I'll bring refreshments. Have a snatch strap but no winch.Where's a good place to meet? I'm west of town so would be up your way 9ish.

There’s a very small chance I can make it. But if I don’t count me on the next meet up. Out of curiosity, whats the skill level for Tray mountain. Asking for a noob

I haven't been but I here from those who have that it ranges from easy to holy crap depending on which way you go in and how far you go. I'm not a total noob, but I don't have a rock crawler rig, so I'm careful about where I go.

This post is from a conversation with Craaaazzy about this trip.

Tray Mountain Road is north of Helen GA. Should be about an hour for you. I'd like to meet in Roswell and convoy since it's on the way for me. If I leave my house at 8:30, I should make it to Roswell by 9:15-9:30. I expect we'd be back in Roswell by 4 at the latest. That still leaves me the better part of an hour home. Do you have a CB radio? Needed for group comms. Let's switch to the 'Tray Mountain Anyone?' thread to loop in our fellow traveler.

Thanks CA2GA. It looks like from the Alpharetta/Roswell area, it's about 1hr 45min drive to the trail. So if leaving around 9:30, that would mean starting at the trail around 11. In order to be back by 4pm, it would only be about 3 hrs on the trail, is this reasonable or is more time needed? I'm a newb here so am not familiar at all...but am trying to schedule my time appropriately. If longer than 3 hrs on the trail, I may need to skip this ride.

so did more research...found this: Tray Mountain Forest Service Road

looking at some of the recordings, looks like 2-4 hrs of driving on the trail itself so 3 hrs is totally doable. also watched some of the youtube videos of the trail...looks fun for a beginner (me).

another edit:
...just thought of something...it's Oktoberfest in Helen so the roads may be crowded getting up/out of the trail?

Last edited:
good news, I'll be bringing my 9 year old daughter with me so no longer have the time constraint I had initially. hopefully she likes this trip and will want to do some more in the future. will keep an eye out on thread to see where to meet up.

Hey CA2GA I won't be able to go as I have family in town this weekend. I will be up for the next ride though. Trey Mountain is easy to find and ride. I am planning on going up that way in a few weeks and going to ask MongooseGA and Camino70 to see if they want to ride soon. Maybe we can get a few others to go.

There’s a very small chance I can make it. But if I don’t count me on the next meet up. Out of curiosity, whats the skill level for Tray mountain. Asking for a noob

One part of Tray is pretty easy with just forest service roads with some mud puddles and a climb up the mountain. There is also another area that is pretty technical with some ruts, rocks, etc. A year or so ago I made it in my 4th gen 4x2 4runner with mud tires. I believe a few guys on the Atlanta 4runner page told me that the back/technical part of Tray was closed.

That is good news! Makes sense there could be traffic. Not sure how much as I haven't been there in Oct.A buddy told me about an alternate route if Helen is too backed up. Let's actually meet at the Cracker Barrel in Cumming 675 Buford Hwy, Cumming, GA 30040 at 10am. Does that work for you JT4runner?

That is good news! Makes sense there could be traffic. Not sure how much as I haven't been there in Oct.A buddy told me about an alternate route if Helen is too backed up. Let's actually meet at the Cracker Barrel in Cumming 675 Buford Hwy, Cumming, GA 30040 at 10am. Does that work for you JT4runner?

Hey CA2GA I won't be able to attend on Sunday. I have family from out of town and they won't be leaving until late Sunday morning. A few weeks would work better for me. I plan to go on a Sunday once the leaves start changing.

I will be there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom