Transmission Idenity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Butchk

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been reading about the lower first gear in the H41 over the H42. I understand that the H41 is a non us Transmission. I also found that there are 2 h41 tranny's. How can I identify the H41 from a H42 and is there any visual way to identify without counting teeth? My 78 FJ 40 was purchased in Portor Rico and shipped to the US. Would this be considered Non US?

Thanks in advance
Butchk

They look identical from the outside. If you have the tranny out you can put it in first and count how many times the output shaft turns for one turn of the input shaft. An H41 will turn nearly 5 times and an H42 will be less than 4 times. If you look here https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-...2-september-potm-cruiser-guy-guatemala-3.html you can see a picture of the H41 and the H42 gear sets side by side. There is not much difference.

There's another weird tranny that has been called an h41 which is reverse shifting. 1st is up and right. It has a really low 1st gear, like 5.29. Parts are nearly impossible to find for it. I don't know what it looks like externally. I have heard of two of them in CA since I started down the cruiser path a few years ago.

x2 on everything cruiser_guy said about the 'normal' h41. I've got one in my '40. You can see pics of it in my ROTW, but it looks just like an h42 from the outside.

Thanks Eddy,
I've been looking for a H41 and found one at CruiserParts LLC for $450.00 and a worn output shaft. Don't know the condission inside. Is that a reasonable price?

Thanks again
Butchk

Thanks Guy,

I found one with a worn output shaft. They say I can swap the h42 to the h41. Is that right? $450 for the h41.
Thanks again
Butchk

If only the output shaft is worn you can use the output shaft from your current H42. Output shafts do not change AFAIK. That will of course require a complete teardown to change though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom