Transmission Hesitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thebovees

Driving Cruisers since '67
Threads
Today as I started out from stop shifting from Park into Reverse the transmission hesitated about 2 seconds before actually going into reverse. Also had a few minor shift hesitations in the last couple of weeks.

Dumb q first - fluid topped off?

What year/model 80 series?
Mileage on the vehicle?
ATF level checked (fully warmed up engine/transmission)?

shift solenoids? at that mileage, it's pretty well broken in.

shift solenoids? at that mileage, it's pretty well broken in.
Pretty well guaranteed that as the shifting is getting more noticeable. Now, I am in rural Alaska for 3 to 4 more weeks before needing to drive the 3000 miles back to home where I can be assured of proper repair.

Well, back home in Wyoming and;
Speedometer bounce is gone. Replaced the speed sensor and not a bounce in a 15 mile test drive. And, a very important side benefit, the transmission hesitation I was also experiencing went away as well. Talked with my Toyota mechanic who indicated that speed sensor signal gets to the transmission controller and can effect the shifting. What caught me with that was that yesterday in the Walmart parking lot the speedometer, at a stop, was showing 100 MPH and I could not get it into reverse. Finally the speedometer dropped to 0 and I could get it to shift into reverse.
So, I was expecting to have to swap out the transmission shift solenoids and now that is off the table. Now, with 473,000 miles I can expect a few more.

"What caught me with that was that yesterday in the Walmart parking lot the speedometer, at a stop, was showing 100 MPH and I could not get it into reverse. Finally the speedometer dropped to 0 and I could get it to shift into reverse."

Was that before or after the speed sensor was replaced??

"What caught me with that was that yesterday in the Walmart parking lot the speedometer, at a stop, was showing 100 MPH and I could not get it into reverse. Finally the speedometer dropped to 0 and I could get it to shift into reverse."

Was that before or after the speed sensor was replaced??
Before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom