Transmission help-real time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OP I'd go back through the process of drain & fill. Costs you nothing but time and maybe some more fluid. Since pan was pulled off: what got disturbed while pan was off- did filter come off then maybe a solenoid wire get damaged somehow during that process? Unlikely but could have been. What fluid did you use? WS Specified compatible (Toyota WS, Aisin WS, valvoline maxlife, something else?) Fluid level: the level check procedure is a narrow heat range- 97F~115F; I'd warm up to that temp range (watch on scanguage, tech stream, or IR thermometer on pan), and then (on level ground with engine running) pull the level check plug to see if any fluid comes out. Report back

If the filter was off I’d pull it and check oring. Did some development work of a Toyota a660u where we had the valve body out about 20 times. One time we pinched the o’ring. Caused lots of issues. And Air getting sucked up in the pump. Whines like crazy

Priced high in current condition but could make a good deal for somebody willing to troubleshoot if you can get a couple grand off, likewise I doubt the trans is shot.

Thanks for all the input on the craigslist ad, good or bad. It's a nice truck, we've had snow recently and I've gone through lots of slush; it's just dirty that's all. The engine compartment is usually spotless and that's NOT salt on the truck, just snowstorm muck. And the winch line out on the hood is just left from moving it around my garage and driveway. Don't read so much into the photo's, your way off.

Anyway. I've messed with it a little more and have some more information.
When in drive and the t-case in low, when I rev it up to 5k or so it does move a little. What's weird is when in reverse and I do the same it also moves forward.
The shop said they made sure the level was good but mentioned they thought the fluid was burned.
I'm going to do a few drains and refills on it, see what happens.
Given this new info any other input (try to keep it positive please, just trying to fix my truck) would be appreciated.

If you are able to do the level check procedure yourself- gives you the ability to check the prior work done by the shop to know if filled and level checked correctly.

You need level ground, or a way to level the truck, and a method to monitor trans temp which is critical to the process: Theres a faq on using a paperclip to connect pin 4 &13 in the obd port to activate the ATF temp light for this check, or use an IR gun to shoot temp at the pan, scanguage, or tech stream.

Lastly- contacting the shop who did the work asking exactly what brand and type of fluid they refilled with is important to understand to rule out if wrong fluid contributed to this event.

You can review the level check procedure linked below. Fyi the check temps have been revised down to 97-115 (from 115-130) if you are using external measuring device.

ATF-FSM

Still working on this. If someone could post up the location of the transmission computer I'd appreciate it.
I've searched the forum and used Google and can't get anything specific.
BTW: I've replaced the transmission with a used unit and I'm driving again but getting some codes now and odd shifting, so far pointing me to a wire harness connector on the top of the bell housing.
Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom