Transmission balance point (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I tried to do my research on removing the transmission on my 1974 FJ40 and have sorta hit a wall. I went the route of using an engine hoist through passenger door and have removed everything necessary to drop the tranny. However, I'm not having any luck getting transmission to pull back at all. Is there a known location on transmission that is best for supporting with hoist for optimal balance? Any tips on prying or knocking transmission to get it to release?
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

My guess is the pilot bearing is stuck to end of the inputt shaft. If just a matter of balance point would wiggle out pretty easy.

I know it’s a stupid question but you do have all of the bolts out don’t you?

My guess is the pilot bearing is stuck to end of the inputt shaft. If just a matter of balance point would wiggle out pretty easy.
Any idea approximately where I should have strap for lifting? It's difficult to tell? My pilot bearing was squealing, hence the reason I'm dropping transmission. I think I've read about winching transmission back in cases like this?

With me, not a stupid question. Three on each side of transmission and two on top of bell housing. Any others I'm missing?

Four bolts one on each corner. Sounds like your trying to remove the bellhousing which will not work as there are two bolts behind the flywheel that will only come out off what's the transmission and clutch assembly are out.

That’s what I thought was the problem. Leave the bell housing and just take the tranny out if you still have the transfer case attached a point close to where they meet is a good start for lifting. The tranny is heavier though so be ready for the input shaft to drop down.

Quick tip for a stuck pilot bearing on the trans, Remove the 4 bolts, stick a putty knife between the trans and bellhousing, put bolts in from the inside of the bellhousing and slowly tighten them. It'll pop out.

Four bolts one on each corner. Sounds like your trying to remove the bellhousing which will not work as there are two bolts behind the flywheel that will only come out off what's the transmission and clutch assembly are out.
Glad I asked the experts. I was trying to remove transmission with bell housing. Hopefully after removing the correct four bolts, she will just drop right out.
Thanks!

I've had more than one pilot bearing weld itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom