Transfer case weldable or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we all know that the handbrake is not a particularly reliable and durable piece of equipment. Most of road dirt accumulates in the drum and eats out all the parts.

I am thinking of a hydraulic hand brake consisting of a motorcycle caliper (already have one) and a rotor mounted between the transfer case flange and rear driveshaft. To make it all clean I need to weld caliper mounts around the transfer case extension (the space between the speed sensor and driveshaft flange).

Is this type of aluminum weldabe? Or is it a magnesium alloy which is a pain to weld. Has anyone tried welding it and if yes, which tig rod did you use?

People have tried, I assume with bolted-on brackets. Don't know about the 80 series though...

40 disc.jpg

Big trucks use a driveline brake and the caliper is usually on the back of the transmission so there is little movement of the caliper. Mounting it on the diff would require the lines to be very long flexible lines to travel with the suspension. The only thing I don't like about mounting it on the TCase (or transmission) is that if the DS broke (U-Joint) you would lose the ability to have e-brake unless you mounted it on the diff. Some performance cars have moved the wheel brakes inboard so they are on the axle shaft right at the diff (assuming IRS). This allows for very large tires to be installed and not have to worry about the calipers inside the wheel.

Could just install a mico lock to the rear. Cant leave it unattended in case pressure bleeds. The point of an emergency brake is actuated mechanically independently of service brakes so it can still work if hydraulics fails.

Putting anything on a rear diff is a bad idea. The symmetrical position of the pinion would make brake disc the lowest point of the vehicle, so after a few minutes of off road fun the brake would be gone.

Putting the caliper on the front diff is probably a good idea. The high pinion design protects the disc from any damage. I don't want to do it because I have recently painted the fron axle and welding anything to it would make a mess. But if the t-case idea fails, then this is my only option.

And finally the transfer case mounted caliper. Quite high, so pretty safe, doesn't move up and down. But what about that aluminum? Weld it with 4043 rod? Or 5356?

Probably impossible to do on a 80-series transfer case. The FJ60 and earlies t-cases have a flat mounting surface, just like the photo posted by Surfpig a few posts above. The FZJ80 transfer case back is cone-shaped and the nearest bolts are as far as 10 inches from the flange. This is not going to be rigid. The only option is to weld a mount to the transfer case or to the front diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom