transfer case swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys if you swap up to a V8 and an NV4500, do you need to also swap you transfer case to the split case? Currently running a 76 with stock drivetrain.

Thanks,

Richard

You do not have to, but it would be a good upgrade that is for sure....you are just going to loose the parking brake on the rear of the t-case, as the split case did not float over here with that option...parking brake was on the rear axle of the Land Cruiser 40 series 08/80 and later...

:beer:

I know this is an old thread, but I am thinking of changing out my stock 76 transfer case with T-case saver to a 83 FJ60 split case.

I am running a NV4500 with a Advance Adapter.

Questions:

What all do I need to consider?

Would the input splines to both cases be the same?

Would the split case bolt up to my Advance Adapter?

Would I need a longer rear drive shaft since I no longer would have the parking brake drum?

Would this swap be worth it?

Thanks for your help!!

Call A/A
Did you call them?
Would I need a longer rear drive shaft since I no longer would have the parking brake drum?
Have you measured the Tcases from front to rear flange? Or else wait until installed and see if mods are needed.
That would be up to you, but I like a split case better.

I know this is an old thread, but I am thinking of changing out my stock 76 transfer case with T-case saver to a 83 FJ60 split case.

I am running a NV4500 with a Advance Adapter.

Questions:

What all do I need to consider?

Thanks for your help!!

Lots of considerations, Poser hit the nail on the head for some of the major ones.

Input splines go from 16 spline to 19 spline.

Split Tcase should bolt up (other than the spline differences.

You can get the Pbrake drum for the split tcase, I believe that George ( @orangefj45 ) has some right now. But you should assume there is going to be a length change.

Split tcases are very strong and quiet. I would much rather run one than a one piece case.

Lots of considerations, Poser hit the nail on the head for some of the major ones.

Input splines go from 16 spline to 19 spline.

Split Tcase should bolt up (other than the spline differences.

You can get the Pbrake drum for the split tcase, I believe that George ( @orangefj45 ) has some right now. But you should assume there is going to be a length change.

Split tcases are very strong and quiet. I would much rather run one than a one piece case.

Mace,

Thanks for your response.

The input shaft was my main concern. I guess I will have to do some more research about changing out the shaft on the Advance Adapter.

I will be picking up a split case here in the next couple of weeks, so I currently can't compare measurements.

Just trying to start figure out what all is needed in doing this swap.

Thanks again.

I frankly, don't get it. Your 3 speed transfer case I assume is working just fine so why do you want to complicate things by swapping out to a split case? You'll loose your parking brake and the low range in the split case is not quite as good as what you have now. Yes, it'll be a strength upgrade but your current case will last just fine if you brace it across the top and also the front output. The split case seems like an incredible amount of screwing around for very little end benefit, IMO

I frankly, don't get it. Your 3 speed transfer case I assume is working just fine so why do you want to complicate things by swapping out to a split case? You'll loose your parking brake and the low range in the split case is not quite as good as what you have now. Yes, it'll be a strength upgrade but your current case will last just fine if you brace it across the top and also the front output. The split case seems like an incredible amount of screwing around for very little end benefit, IMO

Thanks for your reply,

This I why I ask the questions that I did.
I'm still not fully committed to the swap.
I probably will keep the split case just incase I ever have issues with the one piece.

Thanks for your input.

I did mis-speak because I forgot you actually have a later model 4 speed case. The gearing between your current transfer case and a split case is almost the same. Close enough you wouldn't notice any difference

You can also buy a one piece case with split case gears. Oversized idler and all. I have one on the shelf. Probably cost just what a split case ebrake conversion goes for, and you don't have to worry about tailshaft issues or driveshaft changes.

Why not an Orion and keep it simple? You get a stronger, lower geared case, and you get to keep your ebrake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom