Transfer case lever question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for the Mud masses: what could be the cause of the lever on the transfer case being situated more aft than it "should" be?

1564937342458255527117.jpg

IMG_20190804_0944030.jpg

It's been missing the guide plate since I've had it (and wont fit which is why the PO didn't bother with it). In the first picture it's in the 2WD forward position and the next pic is 4WD HI. It works in 4WD as it the transfer case locks but as you can see it hits all the way back on the hump.

I cannot find a good picture top down of what the linkage should look like if there's anything wrong so I'm hoping someone has an idea.

I was almost thinking I could move the shifter to the forward side of that other connecting lever/rod but there is also more linkage behind and I'm not sure if that would change how it engages.

It looks like the interference would go away if the shift lever was straightened and re-bent higher up.

Everything else appears to be fine and operate down there. Had some of the linkage apart and only found a missing square bushing for a linkage connector.
Can't figure out what else it would be other than ya, bending the lever.
As I push the lever right into LO, there doesnt appear to be a neutral stopping point either. Solid click back and forth into HI and LO range though..

First thing I would do is source a guide. With with it installed would bend the lever so fits and operates correctly with the guide.

I do see the part number for the lever changed 1/79 when the tub changed. The old part number does not supercede to the new number. Must be enough of a change it it didn't supercede. The rest of the linkage didn't change. Can only think it has to do where it passes thru the hump. If you don't know the history of the cruiser may have some not original parts installed. I found my 79 appears to have the correct lever thru the floor and lever for 4WD the rest the was from the 74 transfer case it has in it. Someone made it work but certainly not stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom