Transfer Case Gone? now what?

Hey guys,

A friend of mine had some tools that basically allowed us to pin point the sound I was having and basically its the AWD transfer case. Now I'm still new to the LC stuff and need to know what options should I look into. Do I buy a used one, if so where? or do I try and rebuild, if so where is the best place to purchase parts? Also, this has a 5.7 V8 swap plus a 700r tranny.

Thanks

Need more info, is it a Landcruiser AWD case? And which one? These transfer cases are bullit proof. What is it doing? You can check the classified section for a used one.

jfz80

Under the black cloud

Also, this has a 5.7 V8 swap plus a 700r tranny.
this one? or a hemi or a chevy

lots of help to be found here but first we need pics if its the yota !!! :D

(and yes as much info as possible such as lift, tire size, use, etc would help w/ the diagnosis)

you might try hardcore section too... but stick around some of the 80s gurus should be around shortly to help.
iforce.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased the 91 FJ80 about six months ago. When I got it home I started to check all the fluids give it a tune up and start working out the bugs. One of the things I noticed was the T-case fluid was bone dry, so I filled her up and start testing everything. The FJ would make a very high gear noise at about 47 mph and you could hear the same noise on a lesser note during all mph. So my friend has a tool which allowed us to put ears on major parts of the drive train and then go test it. Everything else was quite except the t-case, I think we might have lost some hearing :) it was so load. The T-case does look like its been leeking, so now I just need to know should I rebuild or look for a used one. Also was the AWD t-case the same up until what year in the 90's. Thanks guys, I'm still learning

Lka1988

Wheeling in scale

No fluid will kill a transfer case. Mine is leaking from the speed sensor, maybe I should go check the level now...

No fluid will kill a transfer case. Mine is leaking from the speed sensor, maybe I should go check the level now...
Mine was too. From what i remember the gasket is not serviceable. I also remember others such as robbie and slee mention to FIPG it. So i did and it's all good.

Top Bottom