Tranny problem - help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I don't venture into this forum often (cause it'll just make me want to buy another Cruiser:) ) but I have a friend who I talked into buying an 80 a couple years back and he’s having some issues. This was the cleanest 93 I've ever seen and was very well looked after by the original owner. Here's what I know:

93 - 80 series
101k on the clock
Tranny is full, ATF nice & red, no burnt smell or discoloring
Tranny has never been apart and only had drain/refills on a regular basis
This rig has never towed anything…basically it’s always been pampered

So here's the issue. He had been complaining that the last few days it was "sluggish" off the line and was running poorly…but only on an intermittent basis. I thought maybe 02 sensors as I know they've not been done before and around 100k is when they like to crap out. Well I drove it today and it's definitely a tranny issue.

When you come to a stop, then pin the gas; it starts off in like 3rd or 4th gear. If you drop it into low gear, it will down-shift, but not into low...maybe like one gear lower. Then suddenly it'll kick in and be ok. Then you stop, and it's back at it again. ..except this time it just stays in 3’rd or 4th and won’t kick into proper gear. Then I tried starting off in low and instead of accelerating to red line and holding low gear like it should, it shifts into second, then 3rd on it's own. Stop again, try the low gear thing again and it'll hold low gear that time. It's like the tranny has a mind of it's own. I tried fawking with the ECT & OD buttons while it's behaving badly...makes no difference. The other weird thing is when it's acting up, the idiot light on the dash for the “OD off“ flickers intermittently.

So what do you guys think…maybe kick-down cable?? Electrical issue?? Any feed-back is greatly appreciated before this poor bastard takes this thing to the stealer and gets bent over…

Thx

Phew,,, when I seen the heading Tranny problem, I thought you were talking about yourself being a transvestite or something, what a relief (joking). In all seriousness im sorry i have no idea.

I would ask Cruiserdan what the symptoms were when his solenoids went bad. It sounds vaguely familiar. It could end up being a cheap fix.

Thx for the input guys...I've told him to buy a code reader and we'll see if we can pull and codes, start there anyway

Thx

Code Reader = Paper Clip?

I believe that you can just get the codes using the paper clip method on a 93 (I can on my 94). Check the FAQs.

Riley

I believe that you can just get the codes using the paper clip method on a 93 (I can on my 94). Check the FAQs.

Riley

Yup; paper clip should work.

It WON'T be the same terminals for pulling CEL codes though. I'm not sure if how to pull tranny codes is in the FAQ...

It'd be in his FSM though. :D

Curtis

Thanks CJF & Semlin!!!

I was not sure that the transmission codes could be checked with the paper clip method. Now I do!

Thanks,

Riley

How do you know when the AT fluid is burnt. I changed the AT fluid in my 92 Fj80 about two weeks ago and did it again last night. The rig is new to me and I just wanted to see what would come out. The fluid last night was dark but no bad smell. I've experienced a little tranny slip and thought it might be the fluid or filter. Any suggestions.

1) Read this thread "cover to cover" for lots of excellent tranny maintenance advice:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=78884

2) A *little* slip only between 2nd and 3rd can be considered "normal" on a 91-92, and doesn't seem to lead to other problems or shorter tranny life. That said, adjusting the "kickdown cable" from the tranny to the throttle body can minimize and possibly eliminate it, and will also let you move the shift points to where you want them.

Welcome,

Curtis
91FJ80, 235K

It definitely sounds electrical. When you said the OD was flickering that told me right there that something is going open circuit. The OD works off a ground circuit, no ground, no overdrive. So if its flickering then you my have a connector loose at the trans or something going on w/ the harness. I would have to look at the wiring diagram at work to understand how this unit is wired. Right now I'm just guessing. If your still having trouble tomorrow then PM me and I'll look at the diagram and see if I can come up w/ a better idea of what's going on. I'll be at work all day tomorrow working on my back burner projects....:grinpimp:

It definitely sounds electrical. When you said the OD was flickering that told me right there that something is going open circuit. The OD works off a ground circuit, no ground, no overdrive. So if its flickering then you my have a connector loose at the trans or something going on w/ the harness. I would have to look at the wiring diagram at work to understand how this unit is wired. Right now I'm just guessing. If your still having trouble tomorrow then PM me and I'll look at the diagram and see if I can come up w/ a better idea of what's going on. I'll be at work all day tomorrow working on my back burner projects....:grinpimp:

cam,

Did you read the thread, or just the first post??

Curtis

CJF, he said the OD light flickers "intermittently" not consistantly. Like flashing..... Sometimes it's hard to decipher what people are asking...

I know, and that's a good point that I missed. I was just commenting that the original part of the thread was a couple weeks old and more than likely "dead" to the original poster.

Apologies,

Curtis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom