Trailer plug troubleshoting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudmates,
I went to buy a new small utility trailer and the stores policy is that all the lights must work. Unfortunately, my right side turn signal and brake light didn't function. I could use a schematic if someone has one handy and any suggestions. Is it fused or ????
And no i haven't searched due to time constraints so no flaming aloud. (OK maybe a little)

TIA

TLC Dan

I recently started using a small utility trailer, it has the same round 7 pin plug as my factory trailer plug. When I first plugged it in it made all the lights on the dash light up and the car started acting funny. Turns out the ground wire fell out of its clamp inside male plug on the trailer. It was bouncing around inside the back of the plug and blew a fuse under my dash.

What type of plug are you running? You can buy a cheap trailer plug reader that has specific led's that will light up indicating if your vehicles female plug receptacle is wired correctly.

Hello Mudmates,
I went to buy a new small utility trailer and the stores policy is that all the lights must work. Unfortunately, my right side turn signal and brake light didn't function. I could use a schematic if someone has one handy and any suggestions. Is it fused or ????
And no i haven't searched due to time constraints so no flaming aloud. (OK maybe a little)

TIA

TLC Dan
Same thing happened to me, controller failing is common.

It's just a flat 4 pin connector. I assume it's OE. No brake controller......

Thanks Guys! I was hoping for a quick fix and this looks like the ticket....

The 4 pole connector on mine wasn't supplying power to the after-market 7-pin connector. Had to run a wire from my fuse block to the back. Use your meter and make sure all 7 poles on the connector are getting power when you expect them (well, maybe not the reverse light, don't think anyone wants to get run over!)

Thanks Gatormark91,
I am using just a 4 pin connector. everything works except the PS turn signal and brake light. I think this new converter should fix the problem......

Dan, there was factory recall on the 98-99 models. Don't know if your vehicle was ever retrofitted or if it is still eligible for the recall work. A call to your local dealership with your VIN number would tell.

OR....just have it replaced with a T-one and be done with it.

Bad trailer wiring shorted my converter (after recall had been done) so I replaced it with this and this so I don't have to use adapters for a 7-round trailer plug. It works great so far. The only difficult part of the install was getting battery power back there for the new adapter. The factory adapter uses the tail light power but the Hopkins adapter uses battery power. I actually prefer this because it keeps the trailer and tow vehicle lights on separate circuits. Let me know if you want any more info regarding my experience with these products.

Thanks flintknapper and cnnrblks,

I have a T-one due to me early next week and hopefully should fix the problem.......

TLC Dan

Thanks flintknapper and cnnrblks,

I have a T-one due to me early next week and hopefully should fix the problem.......

TLC Dan

Just did this mod last month. Installing the T-One fixed the same issues you are having now.

All my trailer lights just stopped working. So, I purchased a small LED tester and found there is no power at the plug. My 1999 LX470 lights all work fine. Is there a fuse somewhere for just the trailer connection? Lights were working fine last summer. Thanks.

All my trailer lights just stopped working. So, I purchased a small LED tester and found there is no power at the plug. My 1999 LX470 lights all work fine. Is there a fuse somewhere for just the trailer connection? Lights were working fine last summer. Thanks.
I had the same problem on my 99 lx470 a few weeks ago. It ended up being a bad converter. The converter is located behind the left taillight. (The one on the body not the tailgate) Remove the taillight and you will find a rectangular box with four wires going in and four wires coming out. Use your tester to make sure you have current going into the box as you operate the marker lights, turn signals, and brake lights. Then check for current at the wires coming out of the box. If there is no current at any of the wires coming out then you have a bad converter. I think I wasn’t getting current at two of the wires. I just got a new trailer converter box from Amazon and wired it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom