TRAIL GEAR 30-spline BIRFIELD/SHAFT LONG SIDE WILL NOT SEAT IN THE DIFF/HUB!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone have a similar experience? I just had the ring/pinion rebuilt and I'm able to get the stock shaft/birfield into the diff but this new Trail Gear Long field 30 spline will not set; I get it most of the way in, but it just won't pass into the hub; that last "push" when it goes in and meshes I guess with the spider gears? These are the 30/30 birfield and shaft(long side). Not the gun-drilled models though. Is there a secret move?

Hit it in with a hammer. Not uncommon with new axles. Especially of your housing isn’t perfectly straight (most aren’t if they’ve seen the trail more then once or twice)

Hammer would be a last resort for me.

Looks like you might have factory cable lockers?
With cable lockers the long spline axle needs to pass through 2 separate splines in the locker.

Push the axle in as far as it will go and then slowly rotate the front tailshaft while still trying to push the axle in.
Works for me on my cable locked 87 hj61.

Was just thinking, if you do have cable lockers, I'm assuming that your new axle does have the correct long spline?

Last edited:
Hammer would be a last resort for me.

Looks like you might have factory cable lockers?
With cable lockers the long spline axle needs to pass through 2 separate splines in the locker.

Push the axle in as far as it will go and then slowly rotate the front tailshaft while still trying to push the axle in.
Works for me on my cable locked 87 hj61.

Was just thinking, if you do have cable lockers, I'm assuming that your new axle does have the correct long spline?
yes, the new shaft has the long splines to account for the cable lockers.

Wack it

f9f.png

Matt, you'll be happy to hear this!
the solution ended up being having another body there to turn the tail shaft while I pushed hard and wiggled. The short side I can do, the long side I couldn't get by myself, not this one. So, definitely get a helping hand if you are able.

It was most of the way in but still stuck. I "wacked" it with my rubber mallet and it popped in all the way. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom