Trading my 2022 Ram 3500 MegaCab for a 2021 Lunar Rock Sequoia TRD Pro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings ALL:

Based on consideration for seating needs for my family, I’m considering trading in my 2022 Ram 3500 MegaCab Laramie (gas) with only 4,400 miles on it for a 2021 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro (Lunar Rock) with 17,200 miles on it. Though I see Black Book values on my truck in the $70k’s, I’ve not had any dealers offer me more than $65k for it. And that’s above what I paid for it. The Toyota is very clean and being sold at a Honda dealer. My truck is like new.

It’s been a few years since I’ve owned a Sequoia (I had a 2019 Platinum). The deal being offered (it’s attached) is $64,500 for my truck (I owe $10k on it) and $65,000 for the TRD Pro. What do you all think? I do prefer the V8 and Lunar Rock TRD Pro in the old model to the new 2023 Sequoia (even though I like the upgraded interior in it).

Thanks in advance!

2CEB4F8B-A51F-49C1-8FC9-43FD9502B35A.jpeg

I can't tell you market values today but I can tell you that last August I got my TRD Pro and I wanted it in Lunar Rock but dealers either had an obscene markup or it was so far away it was going to be a pain [this was right when things were getting weird with the supply chain]. I settled on white which I do love, but Lunar Rock was the color I wanted. I like you also wanted to get in before Toyota switched to TTV6 power as I plan on keeping this truck for the long haul and wanted the tried and true [if gas guzzling] platform of the port injected 5.7 V8 and simple transmission. 17K miles is nothing on these, I don't think you'll have any regrets, and the price won't matter if you end up driving it for a while.

Good luck!

I can't tell you market values today but I can tell you that last August I got my TRD Pro and I wanted it in Lunar Rock but dealers either had an obscene markup or it was so far away it was going to be a pain [this was right when things were getting weird with the supply chain]. I settled on white which I do love, but Lunar Rock was the color I wanted. I like you also wanted to get in before Toyota switched to TTV6 power as I plan on keeping this truck for the long haul and wanted the tried and true [if gas guzzling] platform of the port injected 5.7 V8 and simple transmission. 17K miles is nothing on these, I don't think you'll have any regrets, and the price won't matter if you end up driving it for a while.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your helpful reply, Vento. My only hesitations are wanting more for my truck and thinking the used market prices on the Sequoia’s will continue to fall… yet, the Lunar Rock TRD Pro should hold its value better than other trims on the 2021’s.

I agree with the above. I think if you want the tried and true V8 motor and more simplistic design, the 2021 is the way to go. I think you could wait and see if anyone offers you 70k, but you also chance missing out on this Sequoia. I would do what's best for you, but I think you already know which way you want to go.

Thanks so much for your helpful reply, Vento. My only hesitations are wanting more for my truck and thinking the used market prices on the Sequoia’s will continue to fall… yet, the Lunar Rock TRD Pro should hold its value better than other trims on the 2021’s.
Have you tried other dealers, TrueCar, or CarMax? You can shop offers and present them to the Honda dealer.

Why not look for a deal on a new 2023 Sequioa at this point? That 2021 model is what about 18 years old now? I think You'd be disappointed going from a new ram Megacab to a very dated Sequioa imo.

I think the 2nd gen Sequoia is such a sleeper. Loads of space. Yeah, it’s IFS and IRS, but it has massive axles. The 4wd models have a transfer case like a LC but with the option of 2hi as well. Center diff lock. The fuel economy is what it is, but they have a ton of utility. I was pretty close to finding a 2nd gen Limited but then this LX fell into my lap.

The 3rd gen Sequoia, despite having a front end that makes the 3rd gen Tundra jealous, went backwards on a few key points that leave me cold:
• The space inside is atrocious. Same cargo volume as a 5th gen 4Runner with 2nd and 3rd rows stowed.
• No more 4hi or 4lo with center diff unlocked.
• No more roll down rear window, which is super usable.

I think the 2nd gen Sequoia is such a sleeper. Loads of space. Yeah, it’s IFS and IRS, but it has massive axles. The 4wd models have a transfer case like a LC but with the option of 2hi as well. Center diff lock. The fuel economy is what it is, but they have a ton of utility. I was pretty close to finding a 2nd gen Limited but then this LX fell into my lap.

The 3rd gen Sequoia, despite having a front end that makes the 3rd gen Tundra jealous, went backwards on a few key points that leave me cold:
• The space inside is atrocious. Same cargo volume as a 5th gen 4Runner with 2nd and 3rd rows stowed.
• No more 4hi or 4lo with center diff unlocked.
• No more roll down rear window, which is super usable.
Yes, I’m still looking at it as it’s still available, which I find to be a little surprising. I drove and looked over the TRD. It’s very clean and rides fine (not as good as a Platinum, but the Fox shocks when overlanding should surpass the air ride). And there’s a 2017 LX570 that’s been on an area lot quite a while too. I’ve owned a 2018. As the Lexus Land Cruiser, it’s a beast. I’m just not too keen on its premium fuel thirst.

I’m just not too keen on its premium fuel thirst.
I’m not 100% sure, but I think the 91 octane only gets you +2 HP and +2 TQ. Toyota says the LX 5.7 puts out 383HP/403TQ, whereas the LC/Tundra/Sequoia 5.7 that runs on 87 puts out 381/401.

From reading on here, I don’t believe it’s an actual requirement at all.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the 91 octane only gets you +2 HP and +2 TQ. Toyota says the LX 5.7 puts out 383HP/403TQ, whereas the LC/Tundra/Sequoia 5.7 that runs on 87 puts out 381/401.

From reading on here, I don’t believe it’s an actual requirement at all.
Hmmm, that would be a definite plus in the LX570 category. And as the engine is the same in the LX/LC/Sequoia, you’d think premium fuel would be optional save for any tuning differences on the LX570.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom