Toyota Surf 1kz 1999 Uphill issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 1999 Toyota surf with the 1kz-te. The car drives perfectly on flat surfaces, the issue comes in when its on a steep hill. From a stand still it really struggles to go up the hill getting stuck at 1500rpm and wont rev past that. This issue killed the first gearbox as the clutches started slipping. The gearbox was replaced and I'd like to avoid going through another gearbox so would like advice as to what could be causing the lack of power on steep hills.

So far:
The intake manifold was removed and cleaned (previous owner did an egr delete).
The turbo was checked and it seems fine.
Mech says he has gone through the injector pump and the pump seems okay.
Injectors were cleaned and nozzle tips were replaced.
Fuel tank filter was replaced.

Toyota diesels usually have an engine rpm speed test. You put it in neutral and rev it to around 4000 rpm ( I know it sounds high but thats what the 1HZ manual and other say). I dont know the exact rpm for the 1KZ TE. But if you have a manual; it would be in the fuel system section at the end of the pump rebuild
This test basically tells you if the engine is getting enough fuel and the controls are set correctly.
Im not sure why "clutches slipping" would kill a gearbox. In any case, you should be using a lower gear if the clutch slips.
Im not sure how a mechanic could go through an injector pump while its attached to the engine.
Are the wire seals still attrached to the injection pump controls?
Are you getting any kind of smoke on start up or under load?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom