Toyota 1HZ - turbo mod - Piston with oil crown gallery - installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.serie4.fr
Hello,

just few weeks my 1hz with turbo, died at 250 000 kms...
piston fail (see picture)

after searching and discussing about, i can read somes use
new pistons with an oil crown gallery.

thoses pistons (no more in production by manufacturer)

are thoses which are selling on eBay

is anyone have mounted them ? result ? problems ?

here is my faulty piston
20190907_193249.jpg

20190907_184201.jpg

20190907_142222.jpg

Last edited:
also, here , the workshop used 1kz pistons …. ??????

kit is delivered with 1kz pistons...so you have to rebore 94mm to 96 mm the 1hz block and change conrods… 1HZ TURBO UPGRADE KIT — DIESELS UNLIMITED

a little too extreme...

Last edited:
yep, but it is too much…. :)
i would choose the piston with alfin insert and oil gallery, but i really need to discuss with someone who did it ( don't believe in vendor most of the time)

The 2LTE has pistons with an oil gallery in the crown that the piston oil squirter puts oil into. The piston crown is also a ceramic fiber reinforced alloy. They are very tough. Size is wrong for the 1HZ unfortunately.... But I can say the technology works very well. I've never heard of one cracking. Personally I've been running 19psi (intercooled) and as much fuel as the factory pump can put out for over 6 years; no problems.

the fact they use 1kz (96mm) pistons is interesting to read , but i'm curious about the conrod they use
because the piston have a 34 mm pin instead the 28 mm (1hz engine ) and 33mm (1hd engin )
if someone have informations….

But still interested in the TIK piston brand (ref 1T940800 or 1T94080T ...don't know difference about the 2)
problem is they don't plan to make somes...they are not in stock anymore...

Looks like excessive EGT is your problem. The piston was just your first victim, if you don't fix the root cause you'll have more issues.

Looks like excessive EGT is your problem. The piston was just your first victim, if you don't fix the root cause you'll have more issues.

yes, i know, previous owner was running faulty injectors (4 on 6) and too high turbo boost 1.6 bar (too high for me, somes say no…)
question is, do i rebore 0.5 the block and use oem Toyota pistons ? or do i use new piston design with crown gallery and 1hd conrod...

thoses pistons (no more in production by manufacturer)

Engines Australia sell a range of upgraded parts including pistons for those that want more power out of their 1HZ. Diesel Unlimited probably get their parts from Engines Australia

i know, but do they have oil crown gallery ? , and why pre-topped ? to remove compression ?, necessary ?

Too high turbo boost 1.6 bar (too high for me, somes say no…)
I remember years ago when I first got my cruiser people would loose there minds when you told them you're running over 10psi of boost! These days no one bats an eye when they hear 25psi or over lol.

From the evidence seen only use factory Toyota pistons. I've seen countless rebuilt engines which had aftermarket/"upgraded" pistons in which failed within 20,000km only to have them rebuild again with factory pistons and have zero issues with the exact same tune/setup.

Engines Australia sell a range of upgraded parts including pistons for those that want more power out of their 1HZ. Diesel Unlimited probably get their parts from Engines Australia
Lol not so. On other groups I'm in where these two companies are members it's very clear they have nothing to do with each other.

i know, but do they have oil crown gallery ? , and why pre-topped ? to remove compression ?, necessary ?

I dont know, why dont you ask them?

Lol not so. On other groups I'm in where these two companies are members it's very clear they have nothing to do with each other.

They would say that, but they could be coming from the same Taiwanese factory

Guys I’m seeing a lot of vague info out there but a lot of people act as if 1hdt con rods will work with the 1hz-t crank but I have heard they are not the same I’m wanting to take my block to the machine shop and I’m desperate for info

Guys I’m seeing a lot of vague info out there but a lot of people act as if 1hdt con rods will work with the 1hz-t crank but I have heard they are not the same I’m wanting to take my block to the machine shop and I’m desperate for info

It depends on what you mean... You can use 1HDT rods with a 1HZ crank/block/head. The big ends are the same; the difference is the wrist pin diameter and therefore requires specialized pistons. EA makes specific pistons and rods for this application - 1HDT-style rods and pistons to match but made for a IDI head rather than a DI head.

yes you can read on other thread, 1hz conrod have a 29 mm pin, instead of the 1hdt conrod which have a 33 mm pin

update ! , just received pistons with crown gallery by engine asutralia
+0.5 - pretopped 0.15 mm because of 1HZ bloc milling (last size)
96710529_10157228597275658_7761364147094159360_n.jpg

97063740_10157228597150658_1506732758603399168_n.jpg

96515827_10157228597210658_1999283726982316032_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom