Toyo Open Country ATII tire pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I have a 19 LC with TRD Pro BBS wheels and Toyo Open Country 285/65/R18. Tire place who installed set at 35. Max psi is 80. What should I run. DD Thanks

15947608-A893-4D08-96D3-E40E2D66B59A.jpeg
08F3E53C-9EDD-4D3A-A2C3-0B81F3C1FEEA.jpeg

Looks like I'll be hauling out the compressor tmrw morning before the temp gets up around 100. I've been at 36-37 cold. Why 42?

That’s the pressure per the Toyo load and inflation table guide for An LT rated tire of that size on a LC200. Also do a search for the tire pressure recommendation thread on here , lots of good info by member Gaijin.

Hi I have a 19 LC with TRD Pro BBS wheels and Toyo Open Country 285/65/R18. Tire place who installed set at 35. Max psi is 80. What should I run. DD Thanks

View attachment 2042480View attachment 2042484

@Borstar1 has it right.

The Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure (RCTIP) for the LT285/65R18 125/122S Load Range E Toyo Open Country A/TII tires on your LC200 is 42psi F/R.

If you want to know the rationale for this, Toyo has published a great guide for determining correct RCTIP for non-standard tires - see it here: Guidelines for the Application of Load and Inflation Tables That should answer all your questions - and confirm that the jokers at your "tire place" don't know what they're doing when it comes to tire pressures.

HTH

Hijacking the thread a little bit, but related...

So I have the Toyo Open Country II A/T 285 60 18. They do not appear to have the LT designation on the tire or anywhere else, but they are rated "Extra Load". But looking at the Toyo guide (and thanks for that link) I look up the OEM tire spec, P285 60 18 at 35 psi and it gives me a load of 2601. Then I go down to the ETRTO table for "Reinforced", since it seems that Reinforced and Extra Load are grouped together (maybe), find the load index, 114, then go over to the column that has 2601 and it happens to be the 42psi column. So 42psi is the right inflation for the Toyo Open Country II as well as the plain ole Open Country. Am I reading this right?

What do you think of the ride harshness and noise compared to stock tires? That's the exact tire and size I'm thinking I'll eventually go with.

They look great in the Xtreme version.

Last edited:
Hijacking the thread a little bit, but related...

So I have the Toyo Open Country II A/T 285 60 18. They do not appear to have the LT designation on the tire or anywhere else, but they are rated "Extra Load". But looking at the Toyo guide (and thanks for that link) I look up the OEM tire spec, P285 60 18 at 35 psi and it gives me a load of 2601. Then I go down to the ETRTO table for "Reinforced", since it seems that Reinforced and Extra Load are grouped together (maybe), find the load index, 114, then go over to the column that has 2601 and it happens to be the 42psi column. So 42psi is the right inflation for the Toyo Open Country II as well as the plain ole Open Country. Am I reading this right?

You're close, but no cigar.

OEM tire spec for a 200 Series Land Cruiser (NOT LX570) is P285/60R18 @ 33psi (NOT 35psi) which gives us 2512 Lbs.

The Open Country ATII 285/60R18 120S XL is an ISO-Metric reinforced tire with a Load Index of 120 (NOT 114) which gives us 33psi.

So, the RCTIP for your ISO-Metric 285/60R18 120S XL Toyo Open Country ATII tires on a LC200 (NOT an LX570) is 33psi F/R.

HTH

You're close, but no cigar.

OEM tire spec for a 200 Series Land Cruiser (NOT LX570) is P285/60R18 @ 33psi (NOT 35psi) which gives us 2512 Lbs.

The Open Country ATII 285/60R18 120S XL is an ISO-Metric reinforced tire with a Load Index of 120 (NOT 114) which gives us 33psi.

So, the RCTIP for your ISO-Metric 285/60R18 120S XL Toyo Open Country ATII tires on a LC200 (NOT an LX570) is 33psi F/R.

HTH
Thanks for checking my work. At 33, they look like they're going flat! I'll probably stick to 34 or 35 which seems to be working well so far.

Thanks for checking my work. At 33, they look like they're going flat! I'll probably stick to 34 or 35 which seems to be working well so far.

Not wise to judge proper inflation by how a tire looks.

The P285/60R18 tire @33psi is what Toyota requires:

LC200DoorSticker2_08FEB16_zps214shkwz.jpg

It's the same 33psi for the Toyo 285/60R18 120S XL.

How it "looks" at 33psi is how it is supposed to look.

Of course, you are free to overinflate, but there is no need to.

HTH

I would disagree with that ... not ALL tires run correctly at 33 PSI for various vehicle weight.

A hard rated "e" tire made for heavy load with a psi rating or 85 psi cold is not going to sit and run the same at 33 psi as a tire that is rated at 38 psi max and soft walls.

The psi varies by how much weight you have and the tire rating.

you drive through some water and on a dry area and only see the center of the tire it over inflated, you need to see the whole tire, and it should be running flat.

I run my toyo's at 41 psi and they run flat.

I would disagree with that ... not ALL tires run correctly at 33 PSI for various vehicle weight.

A hard rated "e" tire made for heavy load with a psi rating or 85 psi cold is not going to sit and run the same at 33 psi as a tire that is rated at 38 psi max and soft walls.

you drive through some water and on a dry area and only see the center of the tire it over inflated, you need to see the whole tire, and it should be running flat.

I believe gaijin’s post referred only to P rated tires, which is the OEM tire metric. Changing to an “E” rated tire (LT) will require different RCTIP.

I'm not sure you have a good grasp of my answer.

Simply:

Toyota recommends 33psi for P285/60R18 tires.

TRA (and I) recommend 33psi for 285/60R18 120S XL tires.

Both are on the same vehicle, so same weight.

Same weight, same size, same pressure.

So, why are you talking about E-Rated tires, 85psi, 38psi, running through mud, yada, yada, yada?

What size are your Toyo's? Are they LT-Metric, P-Metric or ISO-Metric? What Load Range? What vehicle are they on, LC200 or LX570? And, why are you running them flat?

HTH

I read what you wrote .. and again your above reply. I've also notice that most of the time your correct on your replies.

The original question was "Hi I have a 19 LC with TRD Pro BBS wheels and Toyo Open Country 285/65/R18. Tire place who installed set at 35. Max psi is 80. What should I run. DD Thanks "

The TOYO 285/65/R18 tire originally posted about is an "E" tire. The next tire mentioned is an "XL" tire, not an "SL".

ToyoTires link is here: All Terrain Truck Tires - Open Country A/T II

proper psi is approx. 41-42 psi for the "e" tire. This comes from other people already doing the yada yada. The "xl" you likely need to do the yada yada I mentioned.

I read what you wrote .. and again your above reply. I've also notice that most of the time your correct on your replies.

The original question was "Hi I have a 19 LC with TRD Pro BBS wheels and Toyo Open Country 285/65/R18. Tire place who installed set at 35. Max psi is 80. What should I run. DD Thanks "

The TOYO 285/65/R18 tire originally posted about is an "E" tire. The next tire mentioned is an "XL" tire, not an "SL".

ToyoTires link is here: All Terrain Truck Tires - Open Country A/T II

proper psi is approx. 41-42 psi for the "e" tire. This comes from other people already doing the yada yada. The "xl" you likely need to do the yada yada I mentioned.

Now I am convinced you are confused :wacky:

My response to that question was:

@Borstar1 has it right.

The Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure (RCTIP) for the LT285/65R18 125/122S Load Range E Toyo Open Country A/TII tires on your LC200 is 42psi F/R.

If you want to know the rationale for this, Toyo has published a great guide for determining correct RCTIP for non-standard tires - see it here: Guidelines for the Application of Load and Inflation Tables That should answer all your questions - and confirm that the jokers at your "tire place" don't know what they're doing when it comes to tire pressures.

HTH

So, who's doing the yada yada now?

HTH

The questions above were on an "E" tire and the 2nd question was on an "XL" tire.

The 33 psi rating is for an "SL" tire, and both the "E" tire and the "XL" tires run at a higher psi than the "SL".

The "E" runs at approx 41-42 and the "XL" runs at about 34-35.

The questions above were on an "E" tire and the 2nd question was on an "XL" tire.

The 33 psi rating is for an "SL" tire, and both the "E" tire and the "XL" tires run at a higher psi than the "SL".

The "E" runs at approx 41-42 and the "XL" runs at about 34-35.

Sorry, you are wrong.

33psi is Toyota's requirement for a P285/60R18 tire which equals a Load Limit of 2512.

The XL tire is an ISO-Metric 285/60R18 120S XL which requires 33psi to meet the Load Limit of the OEM tire (see page 31 here: Load and Inflation Tables - hint: look for Load Index 120 and then follow that row over until you find the first number greater than 2512 - second hint: it's 33psi).

The E in question is 42psi and the XL (aka Reinforced) in question is 33psi.

Sorry, but you can't fight the facts.

'Nuff said? (I hope so)

HTH

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom