Toybox with split case or Orion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

climber8483

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm running a pre 1980 4 speed that's currently bolted to a 3 speed t-case. Since I'm in the process of going SOA and stretching the wheelbase I figured I might as well upgrade my gearing. I was given a split case and it's just sitting on the floor waiting for me to figure out what to do. It's going to be used in a street/trail rig and I do play in the rocks some. Hopefully in a couple years it will become a mostly trailer queen. Engine is a rebuilt 2F with cam and 9:1 compression. Do I grab Marlin's Toybox and use the split case? Or do I just put in an Orion? Cost seems to be about equal.

Strength difference between the Orion vs split case?

Thanks,
Brittain

I'm running a pre 1980 4 speed that's currently bolted to a 3 speed t-case. Since I'm in the process of going SOA and stretching the wheelbase I figured I might as well upgrade my gearing. I was given a split case and it's just sitting on the floor waiting for me to figure out what to do. It's going to be used in a street/trail rig and I do play in the rocks some. Hopefully in a couple years it will become a mostly trailer queen. Engine is a rebuilt 2F with cam and 9:1 compression. Do I grab Marlin's Toybox and use the split case? Or do I just put in an Orion? Cost seems to be about equal.

Strength difference between the Orion vs split case?

Thanks,
Brittain

Go Orion.
The Toybox isn't available and hasn't been for over a year.
I've had cash in hand for a SM420-Toybox-Split case setup for a while now.

I've given up and have been gathering parts for an Atlas4 speed setup.

Not trying to hijack this thread...however, I am running an 83 split case transfer from a 60 series and have been looking for the low gear set for this transfer case, without luck. Any ideas if just the gears are available or is better to just go with the orion or other options?

Thanks

Not trying to hijack this thread...however, I am running an 83 split case transfer from a 60 series and have been looking for the low gear set for this transfer case, without luck. Any ideas if just the gears are available or is better to just go with the orion or other options?

Thanks

Have you tried Advance Adapters?
They have a 4:1 gearset for the split case.
To use an Orion, you would need to get a different transmission (16 spline output vs the 19 for the split case).

I've given up and have been gathering parts for an Atlas4 speed setup.

Having installed an Atlas II in my 40 behind the Toyota 6 and a 420, this is a very expensive undertaking to make something you can drive on the street and wheel reliably. I moved my rear axle back 6.5" to make the above combo work; you will likely need a lot more than that for the four speed Atlas.

:beer:

Having installed an Atlas II in my 40 behind the Toyota 6 and a 420, this is a very expensive undertaking to make something you can drive on the street and wheel reliably. I moved my rear axle back 6.5" to make the above combo work; you will likely need a lot more than that for the four speed Atlas.

I've been thinking about that too.
The issue I am finding is that I want to make the truck as bulletproof as realistically possible. I have the 30 spline longfield goodies in the front axle of my 40. The rear axle and t-case seem to be the weak points now (though, I've never broken any of these things, I am very easy on the rig and feel that I would like to try harder trails but am held back by the fact that I need to drive the truck home and I don't want to break anything that would prevent that).

Considering a rear full floater, which is the next step in strength. The prices I've seen on the 40/60/70 'Cruiser full floaters are a bit higher than I am comfortable paying for a moderate upgrade in strength. On my spreadsheet,it seems that getting a Currie High Pinion Ford 9" is not any more money than building up a custom cruiser full floater. And then I get 35 spline shafts and an axle mounted parking brake.

Perhaps in the end, it might be better to just buy a flatbed trailer....

Have you tried Advance Adapters?
They have a 4:1 gearset for the split case.
To use an Orion, you would need to get a different transmission (16 spline output vs the 19 for the split case).

He has a Pre-1980 4 speed, this would already be 16 spline. Orion would bolt up.

The splitcase is strong, np205 like strong, big gears , my vote would be a fj60 4speed splitcase With 4to1 gears.. Easy simple and relatively cheep, and short, unless you have a stretched fj40 the rear shaft gets short with any doubler

He has a Pre-1980 4 speed, this would already be 16 spline. Orion would bolt up.

Split cases were never offered in the pre 8/80 trucks (all split cases were 19 spline). So either he's using a H42f from the donor FJ60, or he's adapting the split case to a different transmission.

I've been thinking about that too.
The issue I am finding is that I want to make the truck as bulletproof as realistically possible. I have the 30 spline longfield goodies in the front axle of my 40. The rear axle and t-case seem to be the weak points now (though, I've never broken any of these things, I am very easy on the rig and feel that I would like to try harder trails but am held back by the fact that I need to drive the truck home and I don't want to break anything that would prevent that).

Considering a rear full floater, which is the next step in strength. The prices I've seen on the 40/60/70 'Cruiser full floaters are a bit higher than I am comfortable paying for a moderate upgrade in strength. On my spreadsheet,it seems that getting a Currie High Pinion Ford 9" is not any more money than building up a custom cruiser full floater. And then I get 35 spline shafts and an axle mounted parking brake.

Perhaps in the end, it might be better to just buy a flatbed trailer....

Toyota 40/60/70 series full-float axles were not available with a centered diff or a high pinion center section and you are going to need both of those with the Atlas in a short wheelbase vehicle.

Currie high pinion 9" diff and heavy duty do not go hand in hand from what I have seen on the trail, even with 35 spline axles.

Split cases were never offered in the pre 8/80 trucks (all split cases were 19 spline). So either he's using a H42f from the donor FJ60, or he's adapting the split case to a different transmission.

I am using the stock 4 speed tranny from the donor 1983 fj60 with stock split case transfer case.

My 40 is stretched (104"), though really not looking to add toy box. Have priced low gears from advance---I thought they were pricey! That might be the way I end up going though.

Running 80 rear axle, 4-linked:D

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

Last edited:
I am running a 465 to Toybox and split case and love the combo. I am stretched to 100 and the rear shaft is fine. I also run longs in front and stock shafts in the rear and really don't baby but I am easy on the skinny pedal when needed and never broke YET.

Hello I Run my bj42 with a H55 tranny 4.7 to 1 toybox then bj60 Split case with bj42 low gear in it going down into 60 series front axle all arp and longfield parts 4.88 and a 60 series FF rear with chromo shafts and studs 4.88 etc both with ARB. powering steel rims and 37" tires. havent broken anything major in 2 years I wheel at least once a month and just so you have an idea of my trips my 5 hour wheeling trip last weekend, bent front leaf bad (inverted it then dropped onto it), broke mirror and driverside window tore rear (steel flare) off and broke/bent custom snorkel. a good afternoon trip any questions i'll do my best to answer them

Hi All,

Thread Highjack! :grinpimp:

71fj40cruiser, nice simple-looking rig with awesome rear wheel travel!

Regards,

Alan

I am using the stock 4 speed tranny from the donor 1983 fj60 with stock split case transfer case.

My 40 is stretched (104"), though really not looking to add toy box. Have priced low gears from advance---I thought they were pricey! That might be the way I end up going though.

Running 80 rear axle, 4-linked:D

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll have to give Marlin a call to see what the status is on the box.

Brittain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom