Towing with the LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this happened. We have a custom made teardrop thingie, with a RTT on top of it. New LX, time to take a little trip to the North Rim.

Hooked up my Max Coupler, and then.... wtf? did Lexus forget to install the 7 pin connector?? Got down on my back to really look and there it was, tucked way out the the way. I can just imagine trying to get hooked up in a muddy area in a downpour.

Is there an accepted straightforward way to relocate the connector?

Not to mention NO clearance for the hitch pin...

shaking my head a bit.

I have not relocated mine, but I am replacing the cable and plug on my trailer to extend it. I have one of those molded plugs and it got pulled out when making a sharp left turn... I do hate where they placed the connector!

The pin is another thing. It is VERY tight in there. I ended up using a locking pin like this one:
Shop Reese Dual Bent Pin Combo Hitch Receiver Lock at Lowes.com

LC Hardriver I have the same locking pin. It's a shame that it's so tight, as the finish behind the pin will be necessarily worn off.

I also left my connector too taut one time, but it pulled all the wires out of the plug and I was left rewiring the plug with a leatherman multitool in the dark on the side of a road. Lucky that I realized I couldn't see the side running lights on my teardrop thingie. With no lights I could easily have caused an accident.

Yeah, that's scary. My trailer's pig-tail is terminated not too far behind the tongue, so I am ordering a longer one to have extra length. With that said, I agree that it was a STUPID placement from an engineering perspective. The hitch box is another stupid design. BTW, it's the same on the LC too. Poor designs.

I have a master lock hitch pin. The ends are slightly wider than the pin. I think the receiver was set up for a straight pin/cotter pin setup, but I really prefer to lock mine so someone doesn't steal my WD hitch.

I ended up trimming the black plastic around the receiver with a dremel. Took about 5 minutes and you can't really tell unless you look close.

Nope, not in the least. Just wanted to get you an answer. :)

I had to put a 12" pigtail extension on my leads, because I couldn't see a "quick" way of re-engineering what has to be the worst design mistake on this truck (maybe tied with that plastic hitch cover and its childproof fasteners, now in the trash). The steel around the hitch, which is absolutely in the way of any hairpin for the standard hitch pin, is hardened. I had to use a carbide grinding tool on mine and even then it took 20 minutes to carve out enough space to easily get a hairpin over the hitch pin. Now it's done and I don't bitch about it when connecting the trailer, but it still burns me up.

Yeah mine's an LC. I never looked behind the hitch cover of an LX but I assume it's identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom