towing a trailer with the 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 20' trailer that weighs about 4400# (with a tandem axle)... It is a Jayco RBM18 model and I know the towing capacity is rated at 6500#, but has anybody towed trailers of this size with decent performance?

oh well...too late I guess I will find out. Now just need to add the right hitch(stock Lexus model, drawtite or..?) and need to add a brake controller. It looks like it is wired already, so just need to find a hitch and have it installed (along with sway control bars) ...any input on hitches is much appreciated.

Are you planning on a new steel bumper? If so, you may want to wait on the hitch since (I believe) all aftermarket rear bumpers have a receiver built in or bolted on. I know my MetalTech has a bolt on (which I have).

I just towed 5,700 or so pounds 1,000 miles and I can say a couple things:

Yes, it'll do it.
Yes, the GX will handle 75 MPH with that weight.
Yes, it tows that kinda weight pretty decently for a gas powered, "mid" sized SUV.
Yes it *will* do it.

Also;
Yes, my trans temps stayed at about 220 degrees the whole time (55 MPH average or 75 MPH, no change). Granted, my trans temps stay at about 195-210 for daily driving.
Yes my transmission has developed leaks since that experience.
Yes, I'm not planning on doing that again without a trans cooler.
Yes, it'll do it.

Thank you, that's good info... Hopefully at 4400# plus our loaded items it will be ok. We will just have to limit the amount of wine and heavy items we bring

It'll do it, we towed a hair over 4,000 lbs with ours when it was still stock. Would I do it often, no, would I do it again, no, but we have other vehicles for that task. Regardless of it's V8 engine, it's still a midsize SUV and it tows like one. A few thousand pounds is its bread and butter, I plan to keep all future loads below 3,500 lbs with the GX. If it's your only vehicle then there's nothing else to say, it will do it, but it's not going to do it efficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom