tow dolly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, i am thinking about taking my truck off of insurance and making it a trail rig only. i have seen you guys talk about flat towing but what about a tow dolly? thanks

You'd have to tow it backwards or unhook the driveshaft, but should still work well.

i think it is just as easy to flat tow, either way you still gotta take the rear shaft out, unless you do what sean said and tow it backwards.

and depending on your tire size you gotta put different straps on the dolly to fit. i think a normal dolly only accepts up to a 32 inch tire...any bigger than that needs bigger straps.

A dolly is nice if you have one with brakes (here in the mountains anyway) as opposed to flat towing.

i think it is just as easy to flat tow, either way you still gotta take the rear shaft out, unless you do what sean said and tow it backwards.

and depending on your tire size you gotta put different straps on the dolly to fit. i think a normal dolly only accepts up to a 32 inch tire...any bigger than that needs bigger straps.

I have heard this many times. Why do you need to take the shaft out to tow a toy?

Originally Posted by Marlin Crawler
On all auto chain driven and manual gear driven t/cases, if it is towed in two wheel drive, the output shaft will turn, but there will be no way for the oil at the bottom of the case to get to the top where the output shaft is. On the chain driven cases, the input shaft turns the planetary housing which drives the oil pump. Gear driven cases use the input gear and low range gears to throw oil on the inside of the housing that collects the oil via gutters and directs it to the rear of the case by gravity. Both style of cases, must have the input shaft spinning to lube the output shaft, speedo gears, and rear seal of the t/case. The rear driveshaft must be removed.
Marlin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom