Total Newbie needs to ask questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone, long time lurker here, so long I couldn't remember my password!! Anyway, I've been on the lookout for a truck/adventure rig the past year. I keep trolling here and Expedition Portal dreaming and scheming about a rig.

Needs - reliable (I'm NO mechanic) and a daily driver with good gas mileage. (I've been driving a 2005 Subbie since 2007, so spoiled in that arena)

I do some driving up and down the I5 corridor in the PacNorWest, mainly for outrigger canoe/SUP races. However, I'm also feeling the inclination to get back to my little coastal surf trips. Not that the Subbie can't handle that, I'm just looking for a little more room. "Why not get a wagon?" Good question. One I've thought over. Could still happen.

However, I've stumbled on a RHD 1992 Land Cruiser HDJ81 1-HDT motor. I have NO idea what I even typed right there. However, it looks really clean from the pics and video, the miles aren't posted in the ad, and owner says ",It has aftermarket suspension, drop links and panhard bars along with a stainless exhaust for the back 50% of the exhaust system."

Now what I need here is what should I be looking for or know about this era vehicle? Thank you all for patience!! Oh, is there are threads I should be looking at, then please fire those away because I KNOW there has to be some. I just have no idea where to look in here.

80 series 1hdt is factory turbo diesel motor. Great motor you need to see a if the big end bearings have been changed. As a recall or po has done it. Body rust oil leaks usual stuff when looking at any older vehicle. And make sure the engine has been serviced properly every 5000kms or close too

as all stated above. a good way to tell if a diesel motor is sound or not and you cant get a compression test is get the owner to cold start it for you. before he starts it, make sure the engine hasnt been prewarmed by the owner (lots of diesel sellers do this) by checking the exhaust pipe is still cold. then start it. see how it runs as it warms up. what color smoke is she blowing? how much? these can be good indications at a glance of a diesel motor. but best is as @78fj40mg said, get a compression test.

on the car itself, obviously, chassis rust and rust anywhere on your undercarriage is gonna be the biggest concern. i personally wouldnt worry too much about body rust, buts that me, i think body rust and scratches build character ;) you just want to make sure your getting a good deal and good car.

check the seat belts. they have a tag on the bottom that show the real date of manufacture. look at the mileage. and just in general have a look at the interior. does it show some one cared for it? or someone who couldnt care less? good indications of the type of person who has owned, and therefore cared and maintained the car

hope this helps, sorry for the wall of text :p hope you get it, cruisers rule ;)

Good advice from Fossie re the cold start.

You need to get the engine condition right, its a big dollar item. Engine rebuild $10000, Turbo rebuild $2000, Fuel pump rebuild $3000.
Those prices could be on the cheapish side.
A lot of parts will need shipping from other countries that have diesel 80 series like Australia. The shipping price can exceed the item price, although one of the members on Mud has been able to some source parts in the USA from Toyota.

Ask if it has a 24 volt start. Some are all 12volt ,some start on 24v and switch to 12v after starting.
24v models need 2 batteries and they are usually replaced as a pair.
On the electrical system, look out for untidy owner installed wiring.

Ask about lockers. I don't know if JDM models have aux fuel tanks but you could ask.

Thank you all so much for this info! Wow....seems like if things go bad on this motor (and maybe all TD's) stuff gets spendy! I truly would have never thought to ask about the compression test, double batteries, cold start, etc.

I'll punt these questions to the seller and keep you posted. I'll also check out all the other links you've provided. SO much information here! It's always been fun to dive into this, and EP, forum!

People are doing some amazing stuff to, and with, their rigs!

So, here's some more info from the seller -

"Big end bearings and most of the major services were done by the previous owner. He works at a helicopter engineering company, he was pretty religious with everything. The pump has even had ACSD delete done. He didn't mention anything about the turbo having been replaced, but it looks to have been done, if not I have a brand new CHRA.

It has the dual batteries and starts on 24V, but runs on 12V. The dual batteries can also run accessories very simply.

It has the front, rear and centre diff locks, one of the best options on these Cruisers.

It is showing only 200,000km, but the cluster was swapped out due to a bad fuel gauge. I believe it is around 300,000km, or 190,000 miles."

As I told him, I'm not asking these questions to nickel him down, only to make sure I'm doing my research. This all sounds good to me, but again, I don't know jack squat about these rigs, or any vehicle, for that matter. I've owned Chevettes, Maverick's, Acura, Toyota, Honda, and now Subaru so I know Japanese vehicles are pretty darn solid.

What I don't want or need is a project car!!!

All of that sounds reasonable. The only thing that seems strange is the Odo swap out. You do not need to swap the cluster or odometer for a bad fuel gauge, the fuel gauge is modular.

These trucks are great vehicles, and can take alot of abuse, but the fact of the matter is, it's still 27 years old. They do tend to need alot of maintenance, and there is nothing about them that is inexpensive.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but I also enjoy wrenching on it. If I were not doing my own work and having to pay someone for maintenance items and repairs, I would definitely not consider keeping one on the road. My .02

So, here's some more info from the seller -

"Big end bearings and most of the major services were done by the previous owner. He works at a helicopter engineering company, he was pretty religious with everything. The pump has even had ACSD delete done. He didn't mention anything about the turbo having been replaced, but it looks to have been done, if not I have a brand new CHRA.

It has the dual batteries and starts on 24V, but runs on 12V. The dual batteries can also run accessories very simply.

It has the front, rear and centre diff locks, one of the best options on these Cruisers.

It is showing only 200,000km, but the cluster was swapped out due to a bad fuel gauge. I believe it is around 300,000km, or 190,000 miles."
this is a non issue in my opinion. seen 80's with well over 700,000kms going strong. highest ever 1HDT i've ever seen was at 895,000kms and owner said it still pulled like a train, but that he had been through 3 clutches (manual h55 box) and had done some minor engine work around the 650,000 mark.

As I told him, I'm not asking these questions to nickel him down, only to make sure I'm doing my research. This all sounds good to me, but again, I don't know jack squat about these rigs, or any vehicle, for that matter. I've owned Chevettes, Maverick's, Acura, Toyota, Honda, and now Subaru so I know Japanese vehicles are pretty darn solid.

What I don't want or need is a project car!!!

my family has owned toyotas since way back when. my dad was one of the first people to import both the 1HZ 75 series when it was new and my moms 80 series into zimbabwe. they dont die.

Another thing to be aware is that JDM imports have a history of odo swaps. Its quite likely it was swapped in Japan as well so it may well have another 100000+klms that hasn't been noted.
As Fossie said ,they have a reputation for high miles, but they need to be long drives. If you just drive them short distances every day, the engine life can be cut by more than half.
So far it sounds like it might be ok. can you get someone to look at it with you?

Is it manual or auto?

Another thing to be aware is that JDM imports have a history of odo swaps. Its quite likely it was swapped in Japan as well so it may well have another 100000+klms that hasn't been noted.
As Fossie said ,they have a reputation for high miles, but they need to be long drives. If you just drive them short distances every day, the engine life can be cut by more than half.
So far it sounds like it might be ok. can you get someone to look at it with you?

Is it manual or auto?

amen to that. if you are gonna use it as a DD like i use my 45, then let it warm up first thing and let it idle down when you get where your going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom