Torsion Bar Fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
87' Manual, checkered past.
Frame shop has been straightening a clean frame to swap for my rusted unit. We are having difficulties getting passenger side dialed in. Specifically the torsion bar cradle/mount lining up with torsion bar. Driver's side from the start laid down perfectly, no pushing or adjustment bolt to hold in the cradle. Initially the Passenger side was waaaaay too far out to even force the issue, after frame shop's efforts it will go........but I've got to push it into the cradle and install the adjustment bolt to keep it there. I'd like to have it lay in there like the Driver's side with no persuasion.

Now, I realize there is "close enough" in this world. I'm looking for first hand experience beyond my own and any suggestions.
As I see it, I can:
  • Push it in as-is and live with it.
  • Return it to the frame shop and let them keep pulling/bending/twisting.
  • Dig into it myself and try to determine where it's off, then devise a plan to cut/weld to put it right.
Pictures showing boths sides for reference, the end of the torsion bar is about 1.5" from landing perfectly. I'll try to get more accurate measurements later today.
Thanks, S.

Cradle Drivers Side.jpg

Cradle Passengers Side.jpg

^^ agree

I'd try to get a handle on what's causing the misalignment before doing so, but that's just me.
Being able to discuss the problem with them could save you from getting back a twisted mess.

Good looking frame btw.
Fresh P/C?

Yea, looked great after first frame shop and powder coat. Urrgggh. @88repo I could work with you, yes it's a problem that needs to be solved, not a pissing match. This second shop has been very responsive and I have no qualms with their work, I just need to know where it's bent before we move forward. I've got a call with them today. We'll see.

After a death in the family, other projects, and life in general I'm back on the 1st gen frame. @88repo pretty much read my mind so it went on my lift, leveled it front/back, broke out the laser, every level I own and started dropping plumb bobs. My FSM only has tables for body mounts so that's what I measured and everything was really, really close. Huge improvement after the second frame shop....but of course the passenger's side torsion bar was still an issue.

The donor had been hit in the front right, likely decades ago, the extent of that damage was lost to the ages. Until now.

I focused on the box section frame rails first. The driver's side is very straight with everything lining up since day one so I worked up/down the frame and across comparing passenger side to driver's side. The passenger's side had a slight rise as it approached the engine mounts but was only about 1/16...maybe an 1/8 and came back in line quickly and was dead on at the front cross member. The torsion bar was 2 inches high at the rear cradle, I couldn't see this slight variance causing that. So isolated my efforts on the passengers side upright sub-weldment. Every thing measured close but not perfect....so I bolted up the upper A-arm and torsion bar.

s***, there it was......I'd missed it a dozen times. The mounting surface for the upper A-arm is tilted (high in the back low in the front). Nothing bent, no wrinkles or puckers that would give away it's secret. Pictures compare Passenger vs Driver side gap under the A-arm to the frame rail at the rear bushing. I tested by shimming the front A-arm single hole mount up (slightly less than 3/16) to negate this tilt and the torsion bar laid nicely in its cradle. So after looking closer the hit in front right must have been sufficient to actually replace all or portions of that sub-weldment, or maybe straighten re-weld to account for the frame that was bent. Once the frame was straight that "adjustment" didn't work anymore.

I'll make a few small cuts to separate the A-arm mounting surface from its surrounding brethren, set the angle and weld it up.
S.

Driver Rear.JPG

Passenger Rear.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom