Torque loss? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eicca

Professional Noob
Threads
Driving my mom's 1999 recently and maybe I've just gotten used to my GS400 but I swear it doesn't have the torque it used to have.

The old 3FE, slow as it is, still puts down a little "jump" when you give it some gas. You can feel the torque come on suddenly. The 1999 used to have "jump" but now I don't feel any "jump." It just kind of oozes forward. Doesn't feel right.

I plan to do all the usual tuning items: clean the MAF, check the air filter, check for vacuum leaks, clean the throttle body, etc. Coil packs seem fine (it idles and revs smooth and even revs faster than my 1UZ).

One thing I want a little input on too: Are the 2UZs as sensitive to exhaust tuning as the 1UZ? I know on my Lexus, if I remove the mufflers, I can feel the loss of torque. It doesn't "jump." The 1999 DOES have a hole in the muffler. Doesn't sound that big, but I haven't been under there to check it out. Could that be making such a noticeable difference? It would support the reasoning that it revs faster than my 1UZ... But I don't know.

All knowledge appreciated as I dive into this. Thanks.

What about transmission? Torque converter issues? Low fluid levels?
Speculation here.

On the list to check. Shifting feels fine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom