Torque converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. So my torque converter is locked up, 93 fzj80. Truck stalls as soon as it’s put in gear, if i rev it as i put it in gear it breaks free and it’s fine till i shut it off again. Anyway i see torque converters for $300 everywhere. Any recommendations for a good quality one? Are they all the same basically? Thanks for any input

You can buy a used one?

Why not?

The issue with a failed converter is whatever was failing inside us likely in the trans now to...
Probably find a entire used trans in the parting out section.

It's the 442 right?

Seriously doubt it would be the torque converter. More likely to be the shift solenoids in the in the transmission valve body which can be bought for cheap. If you search this forum for the Isuzu part numbers used in your transmission and where to buy them.

More diagnosis would save you a lot of $$$ and labor.

Seriously doubt it would be the torque converter. More likely to be the shift solenoids in the in the transmission valve body which can be bought for cheap. If you search this forum for the Isuzu part numbers used in your transmission and where to buy them.

More diagnosis would save you a lot of $$$ and labor.
Would a shift solenoid fail act the way I described? "Breaking free with high rpm's then acting normal?" There's a slight roaring sound while driving also, like swampers make. I really don't have much tranny experience. But I agree changing the solenoids should be tried first

I have spent hours searching for a replacement TC for my 2000 LX470 (an A343F and not yours, I know, but bear with me).

The best recommendation I could get was Precision of New Hampton. They only list 1997 and up A343F, but they only list what they have, not what they can build. Every transmission shop I trust has recommended them to me for advice, this is where they all buy theirs.

Having said that, the A442F is really solid, and I agree that your troubleshooting should probably start with the solenoids. And maybe a fluid flush and fill.

HTH

"Breaking free with high rpm's then acting normal?"

That is a very ambiguous description. What do you mean by "breaking free" ?

If the solenoids are having a problem then the transmission may not shift into the proper gear starting off. Starting off in a higher gear would require a lot of throttle but it would not "break loose" just move slow.

Failing Solenoids are a common problem with the A442F transmissions at higher mileage and age. Again search is your friend.

Which trans is better is up for debate but in your situation what matters is what you have as you can't easily switch from one to another. Your '93 should be the 442, so just focus on that. Dropping the pan and changing the solenoids along with other basic troubleshooting (wiring connections, adjustments, etc.) will be a good exercise before you go further.

If it's truly the TC then another option is to have yours rebuilt. That's the route I'll go if my issue turns out to be the TC.

I echo the others, though - work your way through the troubleshooting guide for the A442F. Doing that now; hoping to save some coin.

I have spent hours searching for a replacement TC for my 2000 LX470 (an A343F and not yours, I know, but bear with me).

The best recommendation I could get was Precision of New Hampton. They only list 1997 and up A343F, but they only list what they have, not what they can build. Every transmission shop I trust has recommended them to me for advice, this is where they all buy theirs.

Having said that, the A442F is really solid, and I agree that your troubleshooting should probably start with the solenoids. And maybe a fluid flush and fill.

HTH
Thank you, i guess that’s what I’ll do then

If it's truly the TC then another option is to have yours rebuilt. That's the route I'll go if my issue turns out to be the TC.

I echo the others, though - work your way through the troubleshooting guide for the A442F. Doing that now; hoping to save some coin.
Thanks. That’s my plan now, seems to be the general consensus

Thanks. That’s my plan now, seems to be the general consensus
I think you'll find the cost of rebuilding almost equals the cost of new (aftermarket). I did.

Whatever choice you make, ensure that the shop knows this is a LandCruiser torque converter; there are a large number of similar Toyota T/Cs, using the same housing, from the same family, but don't have the same internal parts. They'll all fit, but that's not the criteria for success. For example, Precision lists the same T/C for over a dozen Toyota transmissions, from as many years, as "fitting". If it were a Camry to an Avalon, or a Tundra to a Sequoia, I wouldn't be concerned, but it's not.

If someone can definitively state they know (and not from reading several "well documented" posts) the T/Cs used in the LandCruisers are compatible, in funciton, not form, with other models and years, I'd like to know about it. It would be nice to have a (operating) spec sheet for the 80 series T/Cs.

Last edited:
That is a very ambiguous description. What do you mean by "breaking free" ?

If the solenoids are having a problem then the transmission may not shift into the proper gear starting off. Starting off in a higher gear would require a lot of throttle but it would not "break loose" just move slow.

Failing Solenoids are a common problem with the A442F transmissions at higher mileage and age. Again search is your friend.
Hard to describe. Putting it in gear it stalls immediately. But if i rev it up to 2000 rpm, push the brake pedal and dump it into drive while flooring the gas pedal it lurches forwards and then works fine. Until it sits again. There is a slight roaring sound while driving also which I’ve read can be a symptom of a bad tc. I’ve only done this a couple of times because it’s obviously wicked hard on everything. The consensus seems to be to replace the shift solenoids, my 80 has 245000 on it so probably would be a good move to replace them anyway and see if that fixes it. Just don’t understand how a bad shift solenoid would work all of a sudden by reving the engine and doing s neutral dump?

I think you'll find the cost of rebuilding almost equals the cost of new (aftermarket). I did.

Whatever choice you make, ensure that the shop knows this is a LandCruiser torque converter; there are a large number of similar Toyota T/Cs, using the same housing, from the same family, but don't have the same internal parts. They'll all fit, but that's not the criteria for success. For example, Precision lists the same T/C for over a dozen Toyota transmissions, from as many years, as "fitting". If it were a Camry to an Avalon, or a Tundra to a Sequoia, I wouldn't be concerned, but it's not.

If someone can definitively state they know (and not from reading several "well documented" posts) the T/Cs used in the LandCruisers are compatible, in funciton, not form, with other models and years, I'd like to know about it. It would be nice to have a (operating) spec sheet for the 80 series T/Cs.
I think this is sage advice and one reason I'll have mine rebuilt locally if needed. It's hard enough even finding an aftermarket TC right now, much less the right one.

I think this is sage advice and one reason I'll have mine rebuilt locally if needed. It's hard enough even finding an aftermarket TC right now, much less the right one.
EDIT:

Apparently Precision does have the A442F TC. 32000-60090

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'd be interested to know if you find someone who can rebuild it locally and if so, what they tell you about which parts they use and from whom, what the operating specs are, etc.

FWIW, someone years past posted a looong series (see posts #144 and A440F failure, posts #1-6) about rebuilding his A440F.

Last edited:
I recall looking that TC up a couple of days or so ago when I was googling around. Good to have confirmation it's the correct one.

Funny you mentioned that rebuild thread - I had just started reading through it. Hadn't gotten all the way to post 144, though, and certainly hadn't seen the later thread. Man, what a ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom