Torn Lug... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
While wheeling a couple of weeks ago, I apparently ripped two of the lugs on my Mickey Thompson Baja Claws down into the actual body of the tire, right in the middle.

Not only does this piss me off, but I am thinking this may be dangerous for highway driving. The lugs are still there, about half connected, but they are definitely ripped.

I can't see any belting or anything, but I am concerned of possible blowout, etc, while at speed.

What say tire gurus?

8844336103454_down_1000x1000_mickey_thompson_bajaclawradial_blk_12433_jpg.jpg

I've done the same thing to almost every set of tires I've owned...I've yet to have one blowout. If the belts are not visible, then the main carcass of the tire is undamaged and should be fine.

I ran my Goodyear MTR Kevlar's with entire outer lugs missing for a year+...and belts WERE showing on one. Finally took out a sidewall in May this year and retired the set. I probably had 7-8k highway miles in 2013 on those tires. No issues for me. YMMV, obviously :)

Good to know. I have taken many chunks out of tires but never completely ripped a lug like that into the carcass. You really have to pull on the lug to see how deep it goes, but it definitely got it good.

Thank you for the input.

Glue it back in place.

Can't do any harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom