Torfab 80 Series Front Axle Conversion Kit – At Home Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you planning on doing the rear or leaving it leafs out back? Ive noticed a lot of people doing the coils up front but leaving the rears leafs

haha nice. Was awesome to follow this along super awesome work! Ive got the front and rear coil kits sitting in the garage waiting for the money tree as well ha

First test drive complete. The suspension feels awesome, although I have only driven it on-road. It soaks up bumps really well and feels much more like a modern truck! I hit a few large potholes and could barely feel them!

Brakes are very similar to the tundra brakes. I can’t really tell a discernible difference - which is good because the tundra brakes are great!

The ride height is about 1/8” higher than with the OME xtra-heavy leafs. I’m wondering if I might need heavier springs. This is with the stock springs out of an LX450. It’s hard to know if they are clapped out or not, so time will tell.

I do have a little bit of twitchyness in the steering wheel. It’s not really wondering but you have to constantly make slight corrections. I almost wonder if the caster is a little high and it’s following road imperfections.
Or it could need more toe-in. I think I’ll try to get it to an alignment shop in the next week to see what the numbers are and go from there.
It is very driveable…the twitchyness is there, but not too bad.

Poser shots after first drive:
View attachment 3307691

View attachment 3307692

View attachment 3307694

I mounted the steering stabilizer using the FZJ80 mount. There is a way to mount it using one existing hole and drilling a new one, but I just centered the wheels, found the midpoint of the stabilizer, mounted the tie rod end and then drilled two new holes where it seemed to want to sit.
View attachment 3307695

View attachment 3307696

I also got the grommets to finish off the holes for the shocks.

View attachment 3307688

View attachment 3307687

Excited to get my alignment numbers and put some more miles on it … preferably off road!

To Do:
  • Get my front drive line back (needed to be lengthened a few inches).
  • Install new brake line from axle to frame ( had to get a longer one)
  • Finish sway bar mounts and install (need driveline first)
Not sure about your twitchiness, but after putting a 80 chassis under mine, my truck was incredibly twitchy, downright dangerous on rough freeways...hard to stay in my lane. 2 different alignment shops couldn't make it better. A Delta rear panhard for the FZJ80s fixed it perfectly. Totally stable now

Not sure about your twitchiness, but after putting a 80 chassis under mine, my truck was incredibly twitchy, downright dangerous on rough freeways...hard to stay in my lane. 2 different alignment shops couldn't make it better. A Delta rear panhard for the FZJ80s fixed it perfectly. Totally stable now

Interesting!
I didn’t touch the rear suspension, so I don’t think it’s that…maybe I need to center my front axle a little better with the adjuster. It was very close but I’ll look into that.

Sway bar is in.
I was able to use an old driveshaft to measure for clearance.

At ride height:
IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2009.jpeg

IMG_2008.jpeg

IMG_2010.jpeg

At full droop (which puts the most stress on those bushings!)

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

IMG_2006.jpeg

Clearance with driveshaft at full droop:
IMG_1999.jpeg

I wish I could have tucked the sway bar a little higher, but it will be fine. The lowest part is 15” off the ground which is about the same as my transmission crossmember.

Initial drive impressions are good. Truck is a little more stable, but it was already pretty stable so the difference isn’t huge.

All that’s left is figuring out the steering twitch.

Step one: make sure the axle is perfectly centered with the adjustable panhard bar.

Hopefully that’s the ticket, but I’m not holding my breath. If that doesn’t work:

Step two: adjust toe in 1/16” increments starting at 0” until the sweet spot is found.

Step 3: find a way to jerry-rig more and less caster into the axle to see if that makes a difference.

Wish me luck!

I finally picked up my front driveshaft from D&D drivelines in the Belfair area.

IMG_2038.jpeg

He did a really nice job. I would highly recommend him if you are in the area. He is a bit of a one man show, so he isn’t super fast, but it was worth the wait!

I engaged 4wd and immediately got a terrible clicking on the driver side when turning 🙄
It’s always something! I think it’s the Birf. I don’t have any idea of the history of them. I guess I’ll just have to go with some RCVs 🤫

I also go my axle perfectly centered with the panhard adjuster that I welded in. It was a 1/4” off but it made no difference in the drivability.

I removed my castor correction plates and drilled some lower holes to add a bit more caster to see if that would help with the wondering I was getting and it did help.

I had to “un-weld” them.
IMG_2041.jpeg

Drill new holes at a spot that would make them have 3deg more caster:
IMG_2042.jpeg

And then I filled the old holes/painted:
IMG_2043.jpeg

The old numbers (not caster number but angle of the plates):

DS:
IMG_2040.jpeg

PS
IMG_2039.jpeg

The new numbers:

DS:
IMG_2045.jpeg

PS:
IMG_2046.jpeg

Caster numbers:
Old Castor AngleOld Plate AngleNew Plate AngleChange In AngleNew Castor Angle
Driver3.38.35.03.36.6
Pass3.08.04.83.26.2

I know that’s a little high for castor, but it is driving better. I’m just at the point where my tie rod is just clearing the radius arm (so more caster is is not really possible without a radius arm change or modification).

I think any extra feeling of wandering is coming from the softness of the front springs. With my weight, I may need to look into some heavier springs.

We went on our first real off road adventure with the new suspension to a secret spot outside of Seattle. We had a great time with some local Cruiserheads and the suspension was amazing! I can’t believe how smooth it is on road and off road. I am very excited about it!
IMG_9127.jpeg

I think I’ll stop updating here and move back to my build thread for any future spring changes or other changes, but feel free to hit me up on either thread if there are any questions/comments!

Long overdue update -
The Bean has been driving great with the coil suspension. My wife and I still flinch as we anticipate hitting a big bump on the road or trail and then we realize the suspension has soaked it up without issue! On washboard it's a game changer. The truck is steering great and my wife is able to drive it comfortably at 70mph. I drive a little faster 🤫. Very pleased overall.
There is a noticeable difference between the ride quality of the front and rear suspensions. I like having the leafs in the rear, but someday I want to get some Radflow shocks for the rear...I think that would help a lot.

IMG_3458.jpeg

IMG_3360.jpeg

IMG_9215.jpeg

IMG_9206.jpeg

IMG_6890.jpeg

IMG_2591.png

IMG_2630.png

IMG_5290.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom