To the people that use their FJC as a daily driver / commuter: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a good thing you're not driving my 5.9L Jeep, then.

I drive slow, this thing is a gas hog.

please keep [[in mind that you wont be seeing any sort of resonable gasmilage for the first thousand miles at LEAST. yotas have a long breakin period. i've got almost 4000 mils and i'm just starting to see some implroovement on milage.. the first 4 tanks or so i got like 15. (and i dont abuse the gas pedal at all) now i'm getting closer to 19 so, keep this in mind too.

antecdotally, yesterday i pulled into a drivethrough to grab a bite on the way home and ordered some food and a drink. the girl at the window didnt put the drink lid on very well and when i grabbed the cup from her it popped off and i got coke allovert myself and the interrior. for about 0.05 sec i was worried and upset about spilling soda in my new truck, however, carpetless floors and a easy clean interior is an amazingly cool thing. i'm not sure i'f i'd say the inside is "waterproof" but definitly water resistant. just dont try to hose down the switchgear, i'm not sure how that would hold up. ;)

i'm not sure i'f i'd say the inside is "waterproof" but definitly water resistant. just dont try to hose down the switchgear, i'm not sure how that would hold up. ;)

I definitely would state the interior is NOT waterproof to the point of hosing it out. I am like :doh: whenever I see pics or video of someone going into a water/mudhole over the door level. If you have taken the sillplates loose you realize that all of that water/mud is going under the "easy clean flooring" and making a home to promote corrosion and degradation of wiring and insulation materials. To be waterproof the flooring would need to be removed and a Rhino-type coating applied to all metal floor surfaces (IMHO).

I came out of a '04 LC 100 and....

I love the FJ TRD SE that I have been in since Dec.'06.
I have 13.5K on it and it is my vehicle of choice for my DD.

The fuel economy has ranged from 17-22, averaging 18.5 mpg on Premium Fuel. I believe it gets better economy on that grade.
The V6 with 5 speed Auto is very quick and the cruising RPM's are in located nicely in the power band of the engine.
I love the No Carpet interior. I suffer with allergies and Carpeting is one of the enemies ( or it is at least a safe harbor for the little allergen critters).
I have long legs for my 6'0" height and I find the FJ driving position to be better than that of the LC 100 that my wife now drives. This makes for a much better long distance commuter and a my knees feel fine after a full day of driving non stop( not so with the LC100).

Of course, there are features that Toyota had to not include in the FJC package; in order to get this much quality, technical excellence and off road prowess in a 4900# truck at this price point. That said, I can do without the Moon Roof, one touch up Door Side Glasses, rear side glass panels that open etc.( I do wish that they would have added atleast on more front area power plug for chargers etc.)

I am sure that some of these deleted items will find their way into future FJC models just like they did from my wonderfully Spartan 60 series to our past 80's and into the 100 series that Mary Jo drives today.
Of course, over time the price point will move skyward as well and at some point we will have to decide whether we are going to trade in the old '07 for the latest greatest FJC that comes out with a removeable Hardtop and all that other stuff that will be in Package 1A or 2C. I hope that by that time I can talk Mary Jo into taking mine and I 'll get rid of her LC100.

Such is life; aint it great!!

BTW, I did add the dash mount Garmin and a DVD Player for my 3 year old grandson Joshua, who BTW, loves 'his Black FJ Cruiser'
The TRD SE is a fun package for the Money and a great daily ride...gm

Had my FJ since march of 2006 and 23K miles on her.

I can get 17MPG at MAX (65 MPH, 6th gear) in my 6 speed FJ.

Granted my FJ is modded with heavy steel f/r bumpers and sliders, 4 KC daylighters on the roof, lift, muds, etc. (see picture)

If you DO plan on modding with off road stuff, you milage will suffer... but its worth it! :)

keep in mind that the manual transmission models are full time 4 wheel drive which hurts the milage the autos actually get better milage since they are part time

I drive mine everyday. I really don't know why so many people whine about blind spots. I hardly notice them. It might be that shorter people have a harder time but for me I see just fine.

I easily put 100+ miles a day on may fj. I think its to much fun to drive to ever let it sit. I average 19 to 20 mpg.

MPG

I get between 13 and 14 in town with my FJ. It is a 6 speed and does have a lot of added weight to it though. Haven't done any highway yet, although I am leaving for GSMTR on Saturday:) , but towing a 40:doh: . I hope to see 10mpg.:mad:
FJ for Mud.JPG

The FJC was the first vehicle I've seen that I had to have. Spent many hours at work building it on the Toyota web site. With that said, finally bought it last September and just wrapped up a 2,400 mile road trip through Oregon and Northern California. Working 17K miles total now.

Got it with the MT and stock BFG H/Ts. The MT is much fun to drive. Can put lots of gear in back with rear seats folded. Live in Tahoe and have to deal with snow every winter. First time I felt in absolute control while winter driving. However, many gapers on the road do ruin a good time commuting in snow. They go so slow, while you're stuck behind them knowing full well you can do so much more.

Have wheeled it twice so far — once on a not-very-technical trail in Nevada, and at the Oregon Dunes near Florence. Did great on the the Nevada trail, and got me over the dune to play beside the ocean, and back out (on my fifth attempt) before high tide.

Not sure I'd recommend this as a city vehicle though, primarily for the visibility factor. Have had this long enough to know my blind spots, but while in Portland almost ran a red because I couldn't see it (roof blocked it out), and have had people come up beside me I almost ran into because they were in a blind spot. Had one hell of an "OH S**T" moment in Monterey last December. Make sure you've looked when you make your lane changes. Take the extra time and you should be OK.

Flat windshield is a rock magnet. Have three chips (all at the tail end of a trip) and a crack on the passenger side (no doubt triggered by one of the chips and cold weather). It may be expensive, but when the dealer walks you into that back room to talk extended warranty and something like windshield protection, see what the deal is on the windshield protection.

Payments are steep but manageable for me, but then I'm not married, don't have kids, and do whatever I want, all the time.

Recommend getting rock rails rather than foot rails. Make sure the rock rails aren't modified with steps. Cuts down on your clearance. Those are on mine because the overall deal was too good to pass up. Debating whether or not to cut them off. Depends if the rails are truly load bearing. One of the things I was naive about before buying.

Other than that, can't remember when I've had more fun driving — everywhere.

. . . the visibility factor. Have had this long enough to know my blind spots . . . I almost ran into because they were in a blind spot. Had one hell of an "OH S**T" moment in Monterey last December. Make sure you've looked when you make your lane changes. Take the extra time and you should be OK.

. . .

Recommend getting rock rails rather than foot rails. Make sure the rock rails aren't modified with steps. Cuts down on your clearance. Those are on mine because the overall deal was too good to pass up. Debating whether or not to cut them off. Depends if the rails are truly load bearing. One of the things I was naive about before buying.

. . .

The first thing I did was get some of those round mirrors and put them on the lower out-side corners of my side mirrors, so I can see when people are next to me in my otherwise blind spots. They work great, and they're inexpensive.

The rails should be bolted on so you should be able to take them off and sell them to someone who wants them, then buy the one's you want.

The fuel economy has ranged from 17-22, averaging 18.5 mpg on Premium Fuel. I believe it gets better economy on that grade.

What does the FJ weigh? Is it about the same as the 4runner? I get 15 mpg with my LX470 on premium. I use to get 18 mpg on my 2004 4runner SE V8 on regular which Toyota recommends using in the V8 4runner.

What does the FJ weigh? Is it about the same as the 4runner? I get 15 mpg with my LX470 on premium. I use to get 18 mpg on my 2004 4runner SE V8 on regular which Toyota recommends using in the V8 4runner.

According to the Toyota web-site:

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/specs.html?s_van=GM_TN_FJ_SPECS

4WD FJ's are just under 4300 lbs, and ...

http://www.toyota.com/4runner/specs.html?s_van=GM_TN_4RUNNER_SPECS

4WD 4runners are anywhere from 4300 to 4530 lbs depending on configuration.

The LX470 is around 5600 lbs. You would think there would be a bigger difference in MPG. I know both are way quicker then my LX

My brother in-law has a Full sized Ram 2500 with a Turbo Diesel engine. It gets about 22 MPG.

Fuel efficiency has more to do with torque, gearing, and overall vehicle design then it does with weight. If you know your laws of inertia, you'll know that weight can be a very relative thing.

My brother in-law has a Full sized Ram 2500 with a Turbo Diesel engine. It gets about 22 MPG.

Fuel efficiency has more to do with torque, gearing, and overall vehicle design then it does with weight. If you know your laws of inertia, you'll know that weight can be a very relative thing.

I think he gets that kind of mileage because of the Cummins Turbo diesel. If he had a Hemi in that Dodge he would be getting 8-10 mpg. Do you work for the government :)

Hmmm

My FJ is my daily driver. I drove about an hour each way to work when I first got mine, drives nice! It's a comfy ride! The gas isn't great but no truck/suv is! The blind spots are only a problem if you don't use you're side mirrors! Unfortunately most people don't! I got the mini round mirrors in the corners, they help when you're towing, otherwise not much!
If you're mostly planning on it being your daily, and not off roading much, I would suggest getting a auto!
Mine's a 6 speed which I love, but when I'm bumper to bumper for 2 hours I wanna scream!:mad:
I go off roading every week so it's worth it for me! And it does make a big difference! But if you're not gonna be using it for that, I wouldn't bother!
It's good on towing too! I tow my a horse trailer, fully loaded it's about 7500 lbs with NO issues!

Honestly it's awesome! the 4runner/tacoma/tundra have nothin on the FJ!!!

road.jpg
road.jpg

I have sprayed the interrior! It got so muddy I had to, I even got the dash wet! Everything was fine! I wiped off the seats (they were totally dry in less than 5 mins) parked on a hill with all the doors open and let it drip dry!
It's now my fav way to wash my car! ;o)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom