Tire rotation, spare tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree about the rotation pattern directed in our owners manual not making any sense. Until 1200 miles ago (2 rotations) I noticed my RF and RR tires wearing more than the LF and LR. I did not have the same type of tire as a spare but was same diameter so I was using the front to back same side rotation every 6000 miles. My notes in my log book at 1200 miles previous said "at the next rotation, move both right side tires to left side and left to right. ck tread measurements. For some reason the right side tires were wearing more by almost 2/32 across the tread face measured in three places left, center and right. I did the swap last year and have another 1500 miles before the next rotation.

If I were running 5 tires in my rotation for this 200, I would do like the Owners Manual says because I noticed my tires wearing in a way that I was surprised to see and adding the spare into the rotation would even that out.

I have 31,488 miles on these KO2's installed 3 years + 1 month. 15/32 tread depth at start.
Last checked avg depth, and this is after the side to side rotation.
LF 9/32, RF 10/32
LR 9/32, RR 11/32

But the owner's manual says to add the third tire to the passenger (right) side which would exacerbate your uneven wear. By moving them all around in the rearward cross each tire will have an equal 'tour of duty' and should wear at about the same rate.

The list is after the side to side swap. When I noticed the wear the tires with 9/32 were on the right side. If I had a spare to rotate into the right side, they would be closer to even tread wear at each position.

Great points. The Toyota system is a basic and conservative tire rotation and I agree that a 5 tire rotation makes more sense.

So why does Toyota recommend that rotation?

Last edited:
Are there tires fitting the LC/LX that are directional? If so, the Toyota/Lexus rotation would cover all tires.

With the 5 tire rearward cross rotation the wear on mine have always been within 1/32nds. But, different tread patterns may wear differently and I have been monotonously using some version of Michelin LTX for many years.

I run unidirectional tires all winter on my LX. I don’t have a winter tire on my spare so just do a front to back rotation each fall when I put them on. I drive a lot more miles in our 4-5 months of summer and do the 5 tire rotation mentioned in the earlier post “awd” version every 5k.

The reason Toyota recommends that weird rotation in the US is because the front outside tire (front passenger/right) wears the fastest.

This is because we drive on the right side of the road, and road crown leans our trucks to the right, requiring us to sometimes slightly pull the tire to the left. This transfers more weight to the right.

In other, more built specifically for the US vehicles put more weight on the driver side. But since the 200 was not designed for the US market, it was made heavier on the passenger side. Which is why the rear OEM springs are higher on the rear passenger side, and also why OME springs put the 10mm higher “A” spring goes on the rear passenger side. Showing that manufactures even made adjustments for the heavier fuel tank side.

(Side note, if you have bad Cruiser lean after a lift, check to make sure your rear OME springs have the “A” on the passenger/fuel tank side)

So while not perfect, putting three tires through rotations on the passenger side will wear closer to two tire rotating on the driver side.

Would I rotate my tires like Toyota says, no, I do the rearward cross.

Last edited:
So, is 5 tire rotation covered in the Toyota Care or not? Anyone know? I went in for my 10k today and requested that they make sure the 5 tire is done and they told me its not included - just 4 tire. Argued a bit and they said they'd take care of it - which to me means probably not do it..... They ended up not taking the car in bc they didnt have a recall part. So I rescheduled. Looking for a little ammo for next time, I called TNA to verify that what the maintenance book says (follow the manual) and what the manual says (5 tire) is correct. I was told that Toyota Care does not cover 5 tire and the dealer does not have to do it. And they cant make them. REALLY!?! Whats there big deal?

Anyone else have problem like this? Hell even the brochure for Toyota Care, at the bottom says to follow the book.

Whatta PITA.

See no. 2 at bottom of Toyota Care pdf

Attachments

• TLC 2018 warranty & maintenance tire rotation.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 133
  • TLC 2018 Owners manual tire rotation.pdf
    172.4 KB · Views: 148
  • toyotacare.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom