Tire Chains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Completely ignorant when it comes to tire chains/cables and winter weather stuff of all sorts, but thought you folks would be the best place to come for some advice.

I'm sitting here hunkered down and safe in Atlanta, but after seeing the nightmare this city has become for a lot of people and having a small child I'd like to get some chains/cables to be able to get around during these, all too frequent, ice storms and help my family and others if need be.

I've got a 97 year model, and looking for some basic but reliable chains, that I can feel comfortable knowing I have the once every year or two that I'll need to put them on.

Should I be looking at chains or cables? And do 80s recommend 1 pair for the rear tires or put them on all 4?

Anything else I should think of, and any recommended makers/models for what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

I got my chains from here. Not too expensive. I'd get 2 sets so you have enough to do each wheel. With the full time 4wd it is much preferable to do all wheels. IMVHO it's not worth buying really nice chains for infrequent use. I'd still opt for chains and not cables though :)

http://www.tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm

Google might be a better place for you to go for this topic. They may also have some good videos on youtube showing how to properly install the chains and drive on them. Also, do you really need chains ? I've never been in an Atlanta ice storm, but I have been in several Kansas ice storms and never felt the need for a set of chains. Sometimes it takes me a little longer to stop if its really bad, but nothing that can't be made up for with proper driving under the given conditions. Perhaps the tire chain money could go towards a new tire fund ?

And during these weather problems my problem isn't getting around-It's the OTHER cars-especially in town.

My wife is a nurse and MUST be at work. We get ice every year here in Dallas and I always take her in my 92 with no chains and no problems. Of course I take it very easy and approach every intersection as if I won't be able to stop. That keeps me safe.

I think lightweight Z cables make sense for your needs, but OTH if you buy two sets of real heavy duty link chains, your truck will be unstoppable. They are a lot better when the snow gets really deep, and they can save your butt if you make a trip to the mountains and get dumped on, or encounter serious mud. They aren't just for snow.

The downside to chains is that they weigh a LOT and it is too temping to leave them at home all the time. I have big chains, and have used them once on my 80 in ten years. If it's bad enough to put chains on an 80, then it is probably too dangerous to be on the streets at all..... due to all the other out-of-control drivers.

Get the Z type cables that cris-cross at an angle across the tread, so that there is always some part of the cable contacting the road. They are quieter and your ABS can work a little better.

images

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

My wife is a nurse and MUST be at work. We get ice every year here in Dallas and I always take her in my 92 with no chains and no problems. Of course I take it very easy and approach every intersection as if I won't be able to stop. That keeps me safe.
That's how I do it. On my way to work yesterday I saw 5 vehicles spin out. All passed me before they played slip and slide.

That's how I do it. On my way to work yesterday I saw 5 vehicles spin out. All passed me before they played slip and slide.

That always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when they end up in the ditch after passing me. Next time when you see that pull over and offer to pull them back on the road for $40.

Google might be a better place for you to go for this topic. They may also have some good videos on youtube showing how to properly install the chains and drive on them. Also, do you really need chains ? I've never been in an Atlanta ice storm, but I have been in several Kansas ice storms and never felt the need for a set of chains. Sometimes it takes me a little longer to stop if its really bad, but nothing that can't be made up for with proper driving under the given conditions. Perhaps the tire chain money could go towards a new tire fund ?

I think I'd good on tires, FiL owns a tire shop so he keeps me in good ones, just not ones meant for snow/ice with how infrequent it is here.

Honestly don't know if I need them. The problem with Atlanta is we're fairly hilly and that really screws things up. I figured chains to grip down into the ice would help with the stopping/sliding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom