Tips for Oregon road trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm reaching escape velocity next week for a road trip through Oregon — going up through Klamath, Crater Lake, Bend, Hood River, Portland, Astoria and then down the Oregon coast into the Humboldt area.

Unfortunately I'll be a lone wolf on most of this trip, but would love to have some fun at the Oregon Dunes. My rig isn't armored for anything technical, and I'm still lacking some essential tools to get myself out of a jam, so I won't hit a trail unless I'm with more people, but I figured the dunes would be a great place explore.

Any tips on tire pressures for sand, or road side emergency contacts?

Or, any fun places, eateries, juke joints, honky tonks and what to check out along the way?

I do have a college buddy with Cascade Cruisers up there, so I'll tapping him as well, but I thought I'd throw this one out all my new friends.

Thanks again for the help,

Keith

I'm reaching escape velocity next week for a road trip through Oregon — going up through Klamath, Crater Lake, Bend, Hood River, Portland, Astoria and then down the Oregon coast into the Humboldt area.

Unfortunately I'll be a lone wolf on most of this trip, but would love to have some fun at the Oregon Dunes. My rig isn't armored for anything technical, and I'm still lacking some essential tools to get myself out of a jam, so I won't hit a trail unless I'm with more people, but I figured the dunes would be a great place explore.

Any tips on tire pressures for sand, or road side emergency contacts?

Or, any fun places, eateries, juke joints, honky tonks and what to check out along the way?

I do have a college buddy with Cascade Cruisers up there, so I'll tapping him as well, but I thought I'd throw this one out all my new friends.

Thanks again for the help,

Keith

What LC? And are you running stock size tires? Regarding tire pressure running in the sand...go as low as you can to get a good squat out of the tire sidewall (you are taking a compressor or CO2 tank right?). Generally stay in high range in 4wd. At SNT last November I ran my 315/75 R16 MT/R's at 12psi and they did great...but you may not be able to go that low with stock type tires.

Got an '07 FJCruiser with the stock 265/70 R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts, and I have a compressor.

Thanks for the help

SAND

I was out in Colorado at Sand Dunes National Monument and I was surprised to hear that people were air'd down to 5 and 6psi. I let out as much as i could get away with as I had no compressor. I was down to 10 to 12psi.

Oregon is a beautiful state - Take a rod and reel if you like to fish - There's some great lakes and rivers like the Deschutes river around Bend. Go to Mt. Hood and drive up to the Lodge where they filmed The Shining. It's awesome. Hood River to Portland will take you throgh the Columbia River Gorge and you will pass Multinomah Falls, a great place to stop and take a look

http://trips.stateoforegon.com/multnomah_falls/

Wish i were going too!

Not that we aren't happy to help as much as possiable but you might want to get in touch with the larger Cruiser community on these questions.

For instance you might want to post a thread in the Trails - Events - Expeditions section. I'm sure you could find a lot of Cruiser heads that would like to show you their stomping grounds along the way.

There is also a whole forum devoted to the FJC. They might give you some insight into tire pressures, I know there were a lot of FJC's at Surf N Turf this year.

The Ih8mud forum is a great resource, take advantage of it!!!!

And be sure to give us a write up on your trip. :grinpimp: