Tinging at the Flexplate Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replace the motor. Runs good but I am getting a metallic ting on start up and a little here and there on idle but seems to increase as the engine warms up. I’m assuming that the flex plate maybe hitting the starter gear. I’m also guessing that I must not have set the Torque converter in the transmission far enough.
Question is do you think it is possible to unbolt the flexplate from the TQ and trying and push it farther into the tranny without having to pull the engine out again? Any other tricks out there?

maybe it was bent? i have had issues like that in the past with the TC not pushed in all the way and it seated good after a few cycles. could also be a bad starter?

Starter is almost new and didn’t have this issue in the old motor.

I was hoping it may seat on its own but I also don’t want to run it too much if the imbalance could cause other damage.

Did you get the flex plat on backwards? Or is it cracked and you didn't notice it before installation?

I have seen variations in starter/flexplate clearance, if you pull the starter and look at the gear, it may be just catching? Check the starter gear is retracting fully against the starter face, if not you can remove the solenoid and shave an 1/16th off the push rod and recheck the gear resting position.

Before doing that get a mirror and torch and check for starter engagement across the ring gear.

While in there, get someone to rotate the motor while you measure the block to starter ring gear distance, see if it varies as the motor is rotated, this will give you a better idea of what's going on and whether you need to pull the motor again.

Regards

Dave

Good suggestions. Thank you.

He means a flashlight, not a flame.

You forgot to mention he should be looking under the bonnet.

You forgot to mention he should be looking under the bonnet.

OK OK you've had your fun, any more and I will tell people here you wear sneakers on your feet!:flipoff2:

Regards

Dave

Torch means flashlight!? Bloody hell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom