Timing belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You don’t have a timing belt. If you search you’ll find a lot of times when this happens it’s fusible links. Or the EFI relay will cause a crank but but no start.

Edit: Unless you have a 1HZ? I can’t remember if it’s a belt or not.

Edit 2: Just saw your other thread? Why did you start another? If you’d read the responses you’d know that’s likely not your issue.

Ok
What does my 1994 land cruiser full time 4wd have. Belt or chain. Ill get one reply its belt then another saying its not a belt.
I havnt checked anything yet.
Fearing the worst.
After work today im going to pop cap and watch rotor.
And sorry about 2nd post. Never had to ask questions before. Its been such a great truck.

Valid statements made in your threads:

1) Your 1fz-fe has a timing chain, not a belt.
2) It isn't an interference engine, so valves are fine (per someone else's post in other thread, I don't own a 1fz-fe)
3) It is unlikely that the chain snapped, far more likely it's an electrical issue (perhaps someone who knows these engines can suggest an easy way to show the chain hasn't snapped.. watch valves through oil fill while cranking? Rotor on distributor spins with cranking?)
4) More info is needed to offer any help. Was it running normal before dying? Any recent work on truck? Other than not running, any other electric stuff not working? Does check engine light come on with key in run position?
5) In the absence of info to go on, many of us on mud will fill the vacuum with jesting.

And sorry about 2nd post. Never had to ask questions before. Its been such a great truck.
You have been asking questions as far back as February of 2016, when you joined this forum. So for the last 3 years you have had the opportunity to learn more than most about your vehicle, yet you chose not to. The members of this forum cannot take responsibility for your actions.
You have a 1994 FZJ80 US spec Land Cruiser with a 1FZ-FE engine and A442F transmission. Your 1FZ-FE engine does not have a timing belt. It uses a timing CHAIN. Let me repeat that for the hard of hearing.
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN
TIMING CHAIN

Soooooooooo it's timing chain.

FWIW I think Ive only read one thread where the chain snapped over the last 15yrs. And even in that thread there was tons of doubt until he opened it and proved it. I my gut is you have different issue like many have said.

This is also documented in agonizing detail in the Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM) which is available to you. If you look at the ENGINE MECHANICAL section, page EM-12, there is an exploded view of the timing chain and all of its components.
If you read that carefully, you'll see I used the word "chain", not "belt". There's a reason I chose that word...see if you can guess why.

Timing Chain.JPG

I havnt checked anything yet.

If you ever get around to actually fixing the beast, try answering some basic questions, like: Any running issues prior to dying, was it overheating, is the coolant level correct, out of gas, with the key turned to run, is the CEL on? Until then, more spit balling.

No.tuning issues. Its ran great. Kinda getting tired over the years. Now i have a chain. Are chains bullet proof?

Nope not much is for every caliber protection there's a more significant round!

No.tuning issues. Its ran great. Kinda getting tired over the years. Now i have a chain. Are chains bullet proof?
You have been asked the same question about 5 or 6 times between the 2 threads you started.
"with the key turned to run, is the CEL on?"

So what. Straight answer is all thats needed

Not trying to flame but, the guys on this forum are huge resources of information and this response will turn them off from ever helping you. It may not have been your intent but the response does not appear to be one to win people over with. jonheld is a stand-up guy with a lot of information to share but, when you ignore his or the others postings with questions, they are not going to respond any longer. If you want help, ANSWER THE QUESTIONS! They have reasons that they are asking.... If you don't know, say so but don't be sarcastic. You have not earned that right, on this forum, yet.

If you could give a straight answer, would be a good start, pretty simple, really.

Or you could put a timing belt on it, then you would know that isn't the problem.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to participate in this thread but I can't stand this any longer...

So what is that if you want help troubleshooting, you will need to answer basic questions from people who know these trucks inside out. CEL indicates power to the ECU, if it's not on, change the head gasket or timing chain or whatever, put it back together and she still ain't gonna run. No ecu = no worky...

You have been asked the same question about 5 or 6 times between the 2 threads you started.
"with the key turned to run, is the CEL on?"

Maybe start by downloading the FSM. (Factory Service Manual)
-IIRC the links for D/L’s are in the FAQ’s stickied up top.

It’s an incredible resource with great illustrations well above any Chilton’s or similar crap repair book.

When you have an FSM, you can ask educated questions about parts, and get treated with respect since you will be conversationally on the same level or able to identify in pictures with the FSM what members here reply with.

I’m asking so we all know, not trying to be an @ss - is English your primary language or are we dealing with any language barrier?

I ask as it seems we re-hash things inthread with you, and you never know - I know some of a BMW forum guys speak various Scandinavian / similar & aren’t as fluent in English as German citizens who went to school there, learning both languages. So humor in jokes don’t translate as such, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom