Timing Belt Light Reset (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to reset the light for my 1hz timing belt, and after finding some varying "answers", I wanted to see what the real solution is. I tried poking the reset button behind the dash cover with the engine running and it turned off while I held it down, but came back on after I released. Now it won't turn off at all.

Does anyone know what the correct reset process is?

if its any thing like my KZJ78 its got to odometres, one you cant see under the dials, my reset belt light button didnt work either, would come straight back on, I pulled the dash and found the reset button was not resetting the secondary odometre so I just disconnected the whole thing , you could try forcing the numbers back to zero if the button doesnt work?

Funny you should post this. I just replaced my timing belt and water pump a couple weeks ago and had the same issue. Started it up and pushed the button. It went off while I held it but when I released it it came back on. Not sure how I did it but I backed it out of the garage and down the street and tried it again. I looked on youtube and found different methods. I just held it down for a while after moving it and it stayed off. It may have something to do with the odometer moving a bit after pushing the button.

My solution was that I needed to take the dash/instrument panel apart. The "button" you press to reset the T-Belt light was loose, so I had to play the most dangerous game of Operation with needle nose pliers and reassemble the contraption. There's a little pin on the other end of the button you're supposed to press, and I believe that was loose. After putting it back together, the button now has a definitive "click" at full press, and now the T-Belt light is off.

Trying to reset the light for my 1hz timing belt, and after finding some varying "answers", I wanted to see what the real solution is. I tried poking the reset button behind the dash cover with the engine running and it turned off while I held it down, but came back on after I released. Now it won't turn off at all.

Does anyone know what the correct reset process is?
Posting because mine was a different process. I have a 1995 1hzj77 from Japan, all maintenance was logged in Kanji but sticker on timing belt said replaced at 200k km, replace every 100k km. Like a good boy I replaced it at 300k with no light on, also assumed light came on for issues not a remonder. Fast forward 30k and the light comes on while I'm driving down the road. Panicked and found this thread, on my cluster there is the button to reset the odometer, and a plug to the left that is above the timing light. Looking closer I see a small button next to the light, popped the plug and used a small pen to push the button and light went off. Did this all while driving, no light after 50km.

Posting because mine was a different process. I have a 1995 1hzj77 from Japan, all maintenance was logged in Kanji but sticker on timing belt said replaced at 200k km, replace every 100k km. Like a good boy I replaced it at 300k with no light on, also assumed light came on for issues not a remonder. Fast forward 30k and the light comes on while I'm driving down the road. Panicked and found this thread, on my cluster there is the button to reset the odometer, and a plug to the left that is above the timing light. Looking closer I see a small button next to the light, popped the plug and used a small pen to push the button and light went off. Did this all while driving, no light after 50km.
Yes, this is the correct method to reset the light, not a different process. Mine just needed to extra convincing to be pushed. The manual outlines another step to actually reset the light counter if you replace the T-Belt before the light comes on (BE-55). If yours was replaced based on the sticker at 200k, they probably didn't reset the light until 230k, which is why you saw it at 330k. Having the manual available for situations like these has saved a lot of worry on my end.

I guess I should just post those pages for science:
1711981541389.png

1711981556180.png

1711981646751.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom