Timing belt and water pump replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've pass 90k mark on my 98' LC and want to change timing belt and water pump.I can't find any write ups.According to Chilton's it's long and tricky job.I'm ready to call the dealer for a quote.Starter replacement was the only major job I did on my LC.Any of you guys did timing belt by yourself? Paul

I did my timing belt/waterpump at around 96,000. I did mine at the dealer.

This thread (from Spressomon's link) is a classic.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=36401

Good tech with a little troll flaming in the middle. :D

I like the good reruns. :popcorn:

We really do need a comprehensive write-up w/ visual aids for the T-belt change but it would be a big project.

NMuzj100 said:
This thread (from Spressomon's link) is a classic.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=36401

Good tech with a little troll flaming in the middle. :D

I like the good reruns. :popcorn:

We really do need a comprehensive write-up w/ visual aids for the T-belt change but it would be a big project.

I've got 88k on mine...but I won't be doing this job until spring (hopefully!). I'll try to document it then...unless someone else beats me to it :D

If you managed the starter by yourself, then you won't have any trouble doing the timing belt. It's a bit more involved but no single step is very difficult. The key is to organize all the parts as they come off. I put each item with it's bolts in a baggie with a short description of where it goes on slip of paper. Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send you a formal shop manual write-up that's very clear & has all the torque specs for re-assembly (this offer is good for anyone who's interested). Best of all, it has very clear step by step instructions for the order of how things go back together, so it's almost a no-brainer. I took my time and invested no more than a total of 12 hours to do it. The shop will quote at least 8 & can prolly do it in 4 hrs or less since they do them all the time.

I did it and would recommend it. I spent 16 hours, but I did alot of extra cleaning while I was in there. Not really too hard, just kind of long. I put some pictures out here if you are interested.

Pete

The hardest part of the entire job for me was getting the 2 little phillips head screws off of the sheet metal bracket on the a/c compressor. Get a Chapman wrench for them or an angled or flex-phillips driver. Use allen screws & a balldriver when you put it back together.

A big thanks, I finally found the Timing Belt pic thread - Great job ppressle
I love pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom