Timing belt age/miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to visually determine how many miles are on this timing belt or if it still has plenty of miles left on it?

IMG_4966.JPG

The only way you could visually tell anything about the condition of the belt would be to inspect the side of the belt with the lugs / teeth. Even then, it’s conjecture without knowing the age of the belt.

When mine came out after 80k it had no printed lettering on it at all. There is a tensioner and 2 idlers that travel on the smooth side of the belt.
Good to know!
This belt either was the original at 185k miles, or changed 15k miles ago if the ‘questionable’ paperwork was to be believed. I’m praying it’s been changed.

Do the bolts around the timing cover show markings from having been taken off? Usually you can see minor marks from the tools. If you have some documentation, see obvious tool marks on the bolts, and still see markings on the belt, I'd agree with it being replaced recently (as you'd have 3 independent lines of evidence).

FYI I replaced a 30K timing belt on my old Subaru when I pulled it apart to do head gaskets and the numbers on the outside edge of the belt were gone. Those marks typically don't last long.

Is it worth the gamble? Thats the decision you need to make. I know a person with an 06 Tundra that has the original belt still in it and 160k on it. I told him to call me first when his engine goes and have the title ready. I would agree it does not look very old.

I saw that one today too. Interesting video, especially since the 2UZ might actually be non-interference. Having broken a timing belt on a Subaru before, the first thing I did after learning the belt was broken was to put a borescope down the spark plug hole and look for marks on the pistons (which were clearly there - it bent all 16 valves). It's unfortunate that otherwise mint engine was just ripped out instead.

I thought it was interesting too not about the engine not being destroyed either with belt break... even if still interference there are scenarios still that don't kill the motor if belt break were to occur.

When in doubt, change it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom