Tight Spindle Bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am doing a front disc brake conversion on my '73, using mini truck parts. I decided it would be a good time to replace the spindle bushings. I got new ones from Marlin and put them in.

When I used the Toyota knuckle centering SST, I noticed it was really difficult to fit the scribe tool into the new bushings. I had to grease the tool and tap it in with a plastic mallet. I also had to tap the tool back out with a mallet and a brass punch.

I had used the SST once already, with the old bushings, before I made the decision to change them out. The tool and the Birfields weren't tight in those bushings (from the donor mini truck).

But now the real problem. I went to test fit the birfs into the new bushings, and I couldn't get them in by hand, even greased. I could get them a little ways in, but I would have had to use a mallet to get them in any further. I didn't spend much time trying, because I was still buttoning up the knuckle installation, but I am a little concerned about how this is going to work out. Are the spindle bushings supposed to be pretty tight?

They need to be honed. this is normal.

Dyno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom