thrown rod

I am curious, I have a friend that is selling his '86 4runner, but he stated that the engine had thrown a rod. Is it salvageable, or would I be better off buying a new motor. He is selling it for $650.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
I just bought a rebuilt 22RE from Fresno TAP for $1,150 with a warranty.

Valve cover to oil pan with the rest of the gasket set to assemble the rest of the stuff onto it.

hers some food for thot.

long story short, the PO cranked one of the valve tappets too tight. shaved the cam.

shavings got into the bottom end. i noticed a slight, then soon loud and with in 6 miles VERY loud knocking. i pulled it into my shop yanked out the engine, turned it over, and looked at the crank. the #3 rod bearing was toast. i was very surprised the crank was not affected.

so, this may be a different scenario.
Jerod has a good reputation for being right. :D so it is very likley that you will have to get a new engine. but if you are willing to take a chance, and can get a good deal on this truck, it may be worth it.

He is not to much of a mechanic. He actually told me that when he threw the rod, that it lost power, but his girlfriend who was driving it at the time, was able to drive it to a shopping center and park it. He stated that it would still fire up, but that it ran rough and did not have a lot of power. I have a built 84 4runner, but thought that I might by my friends, because the body and interior are real clean. I was just hoping to maybe have an engine that could be repaired. If not, have any of you guys ran a chevy 4.3l v-6? If so what are your thoughts, or should I stick with a 22re for longevity?

Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
Sounds more like he lost a cylinder..... Maybe a plug fouled, or a valve is stuck open, or a plug wire fell off or took a dive.....

I wouldn't feel too bad about buying that "thrown rod" from a stranger, but I'd have to help a friend out. :D

Usually when you try to restart a thrown rod the starter just hums cause the engine is siezed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom