Thread pitch of Temperature Sender for 2F/3F-E? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not been able to find the definitive answer to this question.

Anyone know the thread pitch of the 2F temp sender? Same sender as the 3F-E.

Picture below. I have a new sender and I'm scheming something up.

I've read that it's either M16 x 1.5 straight or 3/8 BSPT. It's definitely not NPT.
When I put my calipers around the threads, I'm getting 15.75mm OD and I can't detect any taper in the threads, but there aren't that many of them.

Anyone know for sure?
Thought I'd ask before wasting money buying a few test fitting sizes from McMa$ter.
Thanks.

image.jpeg

Just for your information, and this is a common misconception, BSPT doesn't stand for British Standard Pipe Thread.

There is BSPT and BSPP, which stand for British Standard Pipe Tapered and British Standard Pipe Parrellel.

So that could be British Standard Parralell thread. I would excpect it to be M16 though, do you have a thread gauge?

And what project are you working on? :)

I'm wondering whether or not the Toyota temp sender will screw right into the rear heater outlet fitting, since now I've removed the rear heater plumbing and capped it off. I would rather have another sender in there than just a dumb do-nothing plug.

Would be sweet if the temp sender screwed right in to that spot. That fitting is 3/8 BSPT female. Could be used for temp spike verification. Wouldn't need to be absolutely accurate. Heater valve would have to be open to have coolant flowing by. Still better than a metal plug.

Original (now gone) plumbing with rear heater fitting
image.jpeg

Rear heater removed and capped off (current setup).
image.jpeg

Replace that plug with another sender instead!?! Wishful thinking I know.
image.jpeg

Thought I'd answer my own question here. The rear heater outlet fitting shown above has a tapered 3/8 BSPT thread. The temperature sender threads are not tapered, but they are 3/8 as well.

The temperature sender does screw into the rear outlet fitting but very loosely. It's a parallel thread screwing into a tapered thread. It's a wobbly fit until the first thread of the sender finally bottoms out on a tapered thread deep in the fitting. If the sender was then cranked down hard enough with a wrench and plenty of sealant was used, the sender might not leak.

But I'm not a fan of sealing my pressurized cooling system with just one thread on a fitting.

So I'll pass.

my vote? drill and tap the plug and fit a valve in it for bleeding the cooling system...

edit- just use a 3/8 bspt valve...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom