Thoughts on Timing Belt & Water Pump and Radiator replacement... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a new used 04 GX with 85K miles and I was looking for a little insight or advice on how to proceed. I need to do the T-Belt and water pump service, and I also noticed the radiator is leaking ever so slightly after I topped it off yesterday. I was thinking of a few options:

1 - Replace everything now bite the bullet and be done with it

2 - Just do the radiator now, run it thru the summer, and do the T-Belt at around 90K over the winter. (and wait to see what else breaks)

3 - Some other options I have not thought of.

Please consider that I am doing this myself and trying to save some cash (times are hard i'm on a budget).

Well, I let my rad weep a bit for probably 3-4 years.

Your timing belt however is 20 years old and they recommend doing them at 10. That interval is pretty aggressive as belts typically hold up to age quite well, but if it breaks you're going to face a repair bill that makes the timing belt parts look very cheap.

The rad is only like 220 bucks, to me that isn't worth putting back into the truck if I'm doing the belt, but it very well could serve for years more if the leak is very slight.

Well, I let my rad weep a bit for probably 3-4 years.

Your timing belt however is 20 years old and they recommend doing them at 10. That interval is pretty aggressive as belts typically hold up to age quite well, but if it breaks you're going to face a repair bill that makes the timing belt parts look very cheap.

The rad is only like 220 bucks, to me that isn't worth putting back into the truck if I'm doing the belt, but it very well could serve for years more if the leak is very slight.
OK, I guess when you look at it as far as the age of the belt it makes perfect sense. Thanks a million for the quick response. That what I was looking for...

My radiator was leaking when I bought my 2003 GX470 in 2017.

I decided to just refresh all the cooling parts like radiator, cap, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, upper/lower hoses, serpentine belt.

It’s been good for 6 years and it gave me a lot of confidence going on 6-hour to 10-hour trips and offroad trips to the desert and mountains.

I know you are tight on budget, but there’s value in knowing the cooling system is all in great shape. And it helps you protect your engine from overheating.

This and 5k mile oil changes will help prolong the life of your engine.

Got my radiator replaced when I bought the gx along with timing belt and associated parts. The radiator(Denso from rock auto) did not add much to the overall bill. Definitely worth it for me.

Definitely want to change my radiator out for a high performance one! Personally if my rad was leaking, even a little, I would just replace it. Having to replace coolant every so often would be costly after a while to me personally. But I have let my rad leak a little for a few years on other vehicles, but it was just expensive and inconvenient to keep around coolant all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom