Thoughts on Coolant brand... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can get the older style green from Napa or Carquest. These still are the older formula. I can not find the older green formula at the other parts store. One thing I learned several years ago is that Mercedes is still using silicates in there coolant. For my saab, I buy that. I may even go to that in my cursier, but it is a funny light pink< I do not know if the cruiser could handle a mercedes coolant LOL>.
I still use green in My crusier, flushed every year, with no issues, no sludge, no creep,100k miles currently. The wife's 07 runner will get what Toyota show it needs as it will be under 100k warranty.
Thanks for the reposts. use what you want, I still put in what the customer want when I do their work. I know my cost on Toyota red is slightly over 20/gallon ($6 dollar increase in the last 6 months).
The new green is a organic salt type, be carefull what you mix it with.

mercedes even has bags of silicate to 'replenish' the coolant with.
it's interesting that G12, G05, Toyota LL are all pink/red and dexcool is orange (even tho dexcool is GM OEM replacement in Toyota engines)

I think Toyota coolant might be more expensive than Merc!

WOW, thanks for all of the help...

I still think I will keep with the high-quality green... It's in my LC now, its readily available, and it seems to work for those that use it.

I am waiting for my FHH to come in, I have my PHH and thermostat.

Can't think of anything else that needs to be addressed in my cooling system.

Should be a good weekend!

Forgot about that thread. Pay me now with frequent flushes or pay me later with .....
attachment.php

-B-

Short of dismantling the engine and boiling all parts in a chemical bath, what can be done to effectively clean the cooling system in an engine that looks like this one?

Dunno.

Prevention is the best plan but sometimes we buy trucks with no maintenance history and sometimes the insides look like this. If that were mine, I would start doing some Google searches and try to get a consensus for a flushing plan. Just guessing, but the plan would probably start with some chemical flush done routinely over a period of days and weeks, followed by a new radiator. All that crap has to end up somewhere and it is usually in the bowels of the radiator.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom