Thoughts around a spring 2017 local meet-up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grench

SILVER Star
Threads
So, things have been very quiet here. I haven't run a casual gathering in several years. Being a Boy Scout leader has consumed a majority of my weekends. From history, things only seem to work out if planned -months- in advance.

The purpose of having a meet-up would be to check out the trucks. The dead of winter ins't ideal, but we could start planning something for spring.

Tentatively, I should be able to do March 25th. Would the interest lean more towards the casual 'Hot Dogs at Mahoney' gathering or trying to get a group together for crawling around the upper ends of Tuttle Creek? (In spring the bottom lands will likely be under water.)

Nothing solidified, just gauging interest.

i can do informal. work is always insane, so something close is more convenient. just me tho.

anyone ever head out to halsey? went a few years ago and had a blast in the sand.

--r

Marked my calendar Grench for that weekend Grench. It may be a longshot, but maybe we could do a 'cruisers and coffee sometime before that weekend just to meet up since the group has about turned over since last time we went out together.

And now I have a conflict for the 25th. How about Saturday April 1st, 2017 for a Mahoney meet-up?

Duly noted. I ended up having a conflict 25th too...

So - April 1st, "Hot Dogs at ET Mahoney State Park" is on. I'll take care of the hot dogs & fixings. Is there anyone who would want to volunteer to bring a cooler full of various sodas?

Kids are welcome - of course. Where we set up is just down the hill from a large playground.

Dogs on leash are welcome too per State Park rules.

You don't have to RSVP to attend, but doing so would let us better gauge how many hot dogs & sodas to buy. All Toyota four wheel drive vehicles are welcome.

This is a great opportunity to meet others in the area.

The plan is to be in the back end of the parking lot between the swimming pool and theater. I plan to be there setting up at 11:30 AM. Hot dogs will be served from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM.

mahoney-jpg.416400

I heard from Corn Man via phone message - thank you!

Looking forward to meeting any of you who are able to attend!

i'll be there in spirit

this weekend is the first free weekend that i have at the shop to do the front axle on the 80. have had the parts for months. be nice to no longer have noisy birf's for a change...

y'all have fun. i'll meet folks at the next gig.

--r

Just found this thx to Corn Man. Wish I could be there! Here are some fun pix what I have done with the LC since our last outing.
IMG_4002.JPG
IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3877.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_3748.JPG

I will try and show up at some point. I have a prior commitment that goes until at least 11.

Mark

Just found this thx to Corn Man. Wish I could be there! Here are some fun pix what I have done with the LC since our last outing.

Those black TRD wheels are awesome looking! I wish you were able to be there because I have a ton of questions just about those wheels.

Are the TRD logos on center caps separate or molded as one piece with the wheel?
16x8 like the factory wheels or other?
Is the offset the same?
Were spacers required to clear the brakes?
Where to get them?
Toyota part number?
Would you be offended if I got a set of 5 for my truck?

The only chrome I have left on my '96 is flaking off the wheels I have that came off of a '93.

i'll be there in spirit

this weekend is the first free weekend that i have at the shop to do the front axle on the 80. have had the parts for months. be nice to no longer have noisy birf's for a change...

y'all have fun. i'll meet folks at the next gig.

--r

If you show up I could loan you my 80 series steel wheel and save you an hour or two of frustration when you remove and place the wheel bearing races. With the steel wheel on ground or workbench, lay the hub in it so the studs go through the holes. Way easier than trying to balance the thing on your lap or bench.

Another time saver is a ~ 3' piece of 2" ID pipe and a stack of cardboard or an old phone book. Fastest way to separate the birf from the axle shaft. Put the axle in the pipe birf up. Put the phone book on the floor. Hold the birf to the top of the pipe and gently tap the other end of the pipe on the phone book - repeat getting a bit more aggressive on the tap each time. The axle hits the phone book on about the 3rd tap.

Cone washers are truly horrific - unless you have a big brass drift. Line the drift up directly on the wheel stud. Tap tap tap with a 2lb hammer and they will just about fly across the garage.

So, should I bring that steel wheel and a big brass drift (or solid brass hammer - use it like an easier to hold onto drift)? Would that and a hot dog lunch in the park save you enough time to make it worth it?

grench, that's such a compelling argument, that i'll say this.

i'll get an early start, and if i like where i am on the project come time for the meet, i'll roll down in the 40. it *should* make it.

regarding the tools...

if i can't find what i need in here...

IMG_2017.JPG

Those black TRD wheels are awesome looking! I wish you were able to be there because I have a ton of questions just about those wheels.

Are the TRD logos on center caps separate or molded as one piece with the wheel?
16x8 like the factory wheels or other?
Is the offset the same?
Were spacers required to clear the brakes?
Where to get them?
Toyota part number?
Would you be offended if I got a set of 5 for my truck?

The only chrome I have left on my '96 is flaking off the wheels I have that came off of a '93.
It took some work to find these and I was amazed that they cost less than most aftermarket options. Toyota part PTR20-35080 Matte Black Trail Team Edition. They are for an 08 FJ Cruiser. 16x7.5 and 15mm offset. They are as close as I could find for what I wanted. I like the 315s on them. Surprisingly they mounted right up with no spacer. Ran them for a week or so while I decided on spacers. Look up specs on trdusa.com Funny part is that they are only sold as replacements, not as new. Baxter in La Vista would not sell them to me bc I don't own an FJ. I'll never understand why a business refuses money. A quick Google search nets you options to buy online. A shop in Washington was happy to sell them to me NIB. I think they were about $600 for 4 with shipping. They come with center caps AND LUGNUTS! It was a no brainer. Caps are a separate piece.

Spacers - Although not necessary, they look stupid w/o them. Hub centric is NOT an option.. I tried. Found a cheap ebay set from a place in FL. Just plain old spacers for any 6 lug Toyota. Mounting a hub centric wheel on a lug centric spacer is a lot easier than it sounds. Just keep 3 tapered lug nuts on board for centering while mounting. I put them on in January and no issues. I think I chose 1.25" for alignment with LX flares, but would have to double check that. Center caps did not want to play nice with LC hubs. 10 mins of love from a cutoff wheel and VIOLA! They certainly would not work with any less spacer tho. I flexed it once and did notice a body rub. I will address that when it finally warms up and before wheeling. May not worry much since the Trail Grapplers are like 500 ply or something like that.

I would highly suggest the wheels. Make your own decision on spacer/rub potential/center cap desire. I also sold my old flaking chrome wheels for $60. Someone wanted them...

Last edited:
grench, that's such a compelling argument, that i'll say this.

i'll get an early start, and if i like where i am on the project come time for the meet, i'll roll down in the 40. it *should* make it.

regarding the tools...

if i can't find what i need in here...

That is a very nice facility to have access to! It may even have the 54mm (I think - I'd have to double check that mm) socket to properly set the wheel bearing torque.

But it isn't going to have a factory steel 80 series wheel lying around to use as a hub holder. :)

Having a garage like that to work with will help a lot. That said, doing the axle job on one of these right isn't a fast job. Especially if the axle hasn't been opened since new. Take your time and get it right. There are few things more frustrating than to be 'done' then having 80/90 gear oil from the diff dripping down a tire 5 days later.

Good luck on it - hope to see you out at Mahoney! We'll probably be there until 2-2:30ish. Maybe later if we're all chatting it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom