Third member pinion torque help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud,

I need a little help. I am trying to figure the correct torque for my pinion nut that holds the flange on the third member.

It looks like based the picture below of the service manual that it should be pre load of~ 10 lbs and a final torque of 180+

6B7CE0F0-897B-43E5-94D4-0C882B785A1B.png

I am confused because when I checkout Zuks website (seems to be a pro with third members) and look at how he is installing the pinion nut, he always torques to 10 lbs and then sets the locking flange on the nut.

Ref zuks page at Toyota Gear Install Harrop
Ref example of torque FJ40 370 Gear Install Toyota

When do his pinion nuts get the big torque? What am i missing? Torque to 10 and set the pinion nut, or torque to 180+ and then set it?

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Do you know if your diff has a crush sleeve or not? The 10"lbs refers to the pre load of the pinion bearings with the pinion installed only. The 10" lbs refer to the resistance required to rotate the pinion only. If your diff has shims installed to adjust the pre load, then you are probably ok to just torque the nut to spec. If it has a crush sleeve, you should have taken a inch lbs reading of resistance b4 removing the pinion nut to find its resistance, then tighten the pinion nut to get it back to that inch/lbs number or maybe slightly a little more resistance. Fortunately zuk refers th 18"lbs when its finally assembled.

Do you know if your diff has a crush sleeve or not? The 10"lbs refers to the pre load of the pinion bearings with the pinion installed only. The 10" lbs refer to the resistance required to rotate the pinion only. If your diff has shims installed to adjust the pre load, then you are probably ok to just torque the nut to spec. If it has a crush sleeve, you should have taken a inch lbs reading of resistance b4 removing the pinion nut to find its resistance, then tighten the pinion nut to get it back to that inch/lbs number or maybe slightly a little more resistance. Fortunately zuk refers th 18"lbs when its finally assembled.
Ok - That makes more sense to me now. Thank you.

I think, Zuks 18"/lbs would be with the 3rd member removed from the housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom