There she goes… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had my FJ for 4 years now. 2007, 6 speed manual, got at 179,000….now has 254,800. Head gaskets let go on Monday and not sure if it’s worth doing heads with that many miles on it. What y’all think?

I had big plans for it…new suspension all around, electronics, bumpers, etc. but I’m not sure about sinking the $ into it.

08999BD2-442D-4C9B-A84B-70FE0380D858.jpeg

416DB4B3-43C1-4830-AC93-0BD149BBF185.jpeg

Yeah, I’ve never once read/heard of the head gaskets letting go on that engine either. Replace and move on if they really are blown.

You two don't look too sad about it. This is the first head gasket failure I've heard of, but I wouldn't hesitate to replace it and keep on rockin'.
lol....yeah, not sure how that other pic got in there, fat fingered while posting from my phone and I cant figure out how to edit it.

A little back story to the failure:
The water pump went bad, with out me knowing, causing a leak in the pully of the water pump. It eventually over heated, possibly several times over about a week. I replaced the entire cooling system and the problem persisted, and eventually got worse. Monday the gasket finally blew and started steaming out the tail pipe and running rough.

With the insane retail you probably wont lose fixing it - may even have to fix it to get top dollar if you determine you dont want it anymore anyway.

The 1GR-FE is known for head gasket issues, especially if it has been overheated. If you are handy, and have a day, it is an involved job, but not hard. This is a good video of the process.

I would also recommend checking your valve clearance while you are in there that deep. It is a shim under bucket system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom