The VCV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let's start with pics. I wanted to figure out what the X port's purpose was so had to cut one in half to investigate. The FSM diagram showed a pretty good pic of it below.

IMG_7334.JPG

IMG_7344.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

This is my take on it.
When no vacuum is applied to S, Y holds vacuum. X and Z have some airflow between each other. The only thing connecting the upper and lower sealed chambers is the shaft that the diaghragm pulls and the stopper is attached to.
When these things were new, was that sealed up or was there a designed intention to have X bleed into the top chamber when there was no vacuum applied to S?
It seems like X is there just to provide vacuum relief from the diaghragm chamber as the diaghragm pulls or retracts.
When Vacuum is applied to S, X will hold vacuum and Y and Z flow freely between themselves.

There are 3 separate sealed chambers...upper where Z and Y feed in, the middle where X comes in, and the bottom where S is plumbed. The thing separating the bottom and x chamber being the diaghragm itself. The top chamber is a solid molded piece with just the hole for the shaft.

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

Last edited:
No vacuum on S, large spring pushes the diaghragm and shaft up, pushing the stopper against Y.

IMG_7344.JPG

Vacuum applied to S, diaghragm and shaft pulls down, the upper spring pushes the stopper down onto the hole and seals up X in the process.

IMG_7352.JPG

I agree with that logic for X.

That makes me wonder what the vacuum coming from the air cleaner port to the distributor VCV is. If I wasn't disassembled doing a water pump I would throw the vacuum gauge on it to see if it registers anything or enough to warrant an X.

Those three small pipes on the air cleaner housing are not vacuum sources. There's no vacuum there. They are just connection locations for clean air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom