The Punisher - 7x5 Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day all - I thought I'd start a build thread on my 7x5 off-road trailer that I have started cutting up and re-fabricating recently. I bought it for $350 from a guy that used it as a farm trailer for the last 30 years or so. It was built by his grandfather originally, modified a couple of times, and has now ended up with me.

I spotted it on a Facebook Buy, Swap & Sell group back in February. It was about 70km away from me, but the price was right in my neighbourhood so I went and had a look. It was pretty rough, un-registered and had taken some punishment on the farm, but the rust wasn't "too bad" other than the front floor where it had sat out in the weather and filled up with water over the years. I wiggled a few wires, scraped a few contacts and swapped a bulb or two to get the lights working, paid the guy and towed it home under the cover of darkness. When I arrived home I noticed that one of the taillight lenses had fallen off on the voyage, so it would have been a guess for anyone following to see if I was stopping or not!

What I liked about it up front was that it sat level behind my 200 Series from the get-go, and will be the same on my other two Cruisers as well. Its also just a fraction wider than the 200, meaning I can see it in the mirrors when backing it up - another big plus!! Stripping it all down and getting the floor out has been the next order of business. This has uncovered a few dodgy welding jobs and some more rust, but that's all part of the fun right?

As I found it back in Feb 2018
IMG_0504.JPG

And at present in the shed, ready to have a couple of patches welded back in to clean up and paint
IMG_0874.JPG

The long term plan is to get the floor back in it, weld the patches up, new LED taillights, weld up the holes & gaps between some of the rough modifications, paint it with a 4E9 style colour & get a couple of new tyres. It will then most likely be pressed into duty as the dump hauler and carting dirt, railway sleepers & various plants to our home where my wife is keenly designing a garden. I'll probably regret how high this thing is once I'm trying to carry railway sleepers up and out of it, but it should handle the treatment - hence the name "The Punisher" (plus I really liked the Netflix series).

Last edited:
Maybe long, long term, but at the moment I really need it for haulage duties. All my vehicles are wagons, so having it as a pseudo trayback is useful as hell.

AEC01B0E-21DF-4C09-B7A9-E0AE86DB93E6.jpeg
85B9F915-3A6B-4FE9-AE75-2083BA82389B.jpeg
AFFE3CE4-DCFD-449E-BF50-C41AF96F5625.jpeg

Bit more progress today. Got the patches welded in, and the new front cross brace started, but ran out of gas for the MIG. I could have had all the main fabrication stuff done today if not for that - oh well, next weekend I suppose....

Bout time I updated this, as it’s nearly ready for registration now. It’s been a long drawn out process, but I’ve learnt to weld better, cut & fit patches, done all the wiring and rustproofing, painted it with a boxful of rattle cans - it’s as close to finished as I’m going to make it. The problem with only working on it on weekends is you get 5 other days to change your mind on what your going to do to it.
4080A80D-D88E-47D3-9225-D5C0461E51ED.jpeg
Patches in, waiting for floor to arrive. Steel shop forgot to order it twice, so it sat for a couple of weeks with nothing happening
51998700-3C1C-4D94-9C44-D4DEA948A50B.jpeg

Another trailer belonging to my father that we did a rebuild & freshen up on in the meantime. This thing is older than me - Dad & his brothers built it 45ish years ago.
9A5AC1F8-5F03-4CD9-BF52-69D0EC3301E1.jpeg

I finally got the floor back home and welded in - it showed me that the sides were a bit out of square, but meh, a bit of a trim and you’d never know.
A7A745D0-9654-4B50-BCAB-38A418EB5F3D.jpeg

And finally painted, wired up, and ready for a pair of new tyres. Hopefully Rego should be straightforward and it’ll be on the road in the next week or two.

58D7361E-4C51-4AD3-8DF0-DFBD850DD534.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom