The Official Check in thread of SoCal 80s. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please check in and introduce yourself to the group. (everyone new and old)

Please no chit-chat, just post them up.

SoCal 80s was born from a thread that Mo (Slomo) started in the 80 Section of www.IH8MUD.com (.https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=79737). Our first official meet and greet was at the Wildomar OHV park above Lake Ellsinore on March 25th 2006. During this very informal meeting we decided that an off-road club should be started. The groups sole purpose was to plan trips together that centered around family, food and expedition type wheeling. In reality we owe a big thanks to NorCal 80s, as they were a great example of what we could become. From my experience the people of SoCal 80s are very considerate, kind, helpful, hardworking and family oriented people. The group was formed around the Landcruiser 80 series (Lexus LX 450) vehicles. SoCal 80s membership is open to all other makes and models of vehicles. Just make sure you have a good sense of humor and tools if own another brand. We also do not discriminate when it comes drive off-road driving experience. In fact we encourage people with no off-road experience to come out with us. There is not greater joy then to teaching someone about how capable his or her off-road vehicle is. So with that said post’em up!

Now for the official SoCal 80s salute, :flipoff2:.

1.First name.
2.Location.
3.Year, make (LC or LX), and any modifications you have done.
4.What you like to do with your ride? (i.e. expedition, hard core, family truckster)
5.Any thing personal you would like to add? (family, hobbies, work industry)
6.Pictures, pictures, pictures…please post some pictures of your ride and anything else you feel is appropriate to help the other members get a feel for who you are.

Last edited:
1.First name - Mike

2.Location - Riverside for the time being

3.Year, make (LC or LX), and any modifications you have done - 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ-80, 37's & turbo

4.What you like to do with your ride? (i.e. expedition, hard core, family truckster) Everything

5.Any thing personal you would like to add? (family, hobbies, work industry) mtn biker

6.Pictures, pictures, pictures…please post some pictures of your ride and anything else you feel is appropriate to help the other members get a feel for who you are.
Big Bear - Oct 2006_web.jpg
imogene&bella_web.jpg
manly daze_web.jpg

1. Reid Bixler

2. San Diego, CA

3. 1997 Land Cruiser: OME Hvy/Med lift, 295/75r16 BFG AT's, front ARB winch bumper, rear Slee bumper/tire carrier, Hanna sliders, 7-pin mod & CDL switch, temp gauge mod, bed liner lined flares & trim, sound and heat insulated floors, YORK OBA, anodized grey painted stock wheels, HammerRite painted dash trim, FJ-40 horns and Land Cruiser badges. I had a 1970 FJ40 which I sold recently. This is where my screen name came from.

4. Mostly used as a daily drive, but my type of wheeling is "expedition" style.

5. Married to Michell :princess: w/ three kids; Luke (6), Isabel (4), and Alyssa (2). I used to surf and mtn bike quite a bit, but a knee injury has kept me away. Main extra curricular activity these days has been 4x trips.

6. Pictures, pictures, pictures…
344204357_f695638352.jpg

Playing in Truckhaven.

374184365_dc68e58654.jpg

That's Scott (smittycrusher) in the background.

374184376_88824d68b3.jpg

Sandstone Canyon.

368098400_10f60656a5.jpg

Insulation.

250622849_bf9b56dc64.jpg

Bedlined flare and trim.

250620006_11b66918ef.jpg

HammerRite dash trim.

236443112_c940010db0.jpg

Devil's Tower.

177108492_1f42eeb739.jpg

Bone stock.

437253025_5f86b0d32a.jpg

I found a neat rock that looked like a hawk's head along the trail and had to take it with me. It was hell getting it up there though.

1. Tare
2. Newport Beach, CA
3. 1994 Landcruiser FZJ 80, Slee Off-Road 6-inch lift, ARB front bumper, ARB Air Snorkel, WARN 12k, Hanna Quality Sliders, 4x4 Labs Rear Carrier with dual swings, ARB Air Lockers F&R, CV-Unlimited chromo inners and otter birfields, DBA rotters w/ PBR Ceramic Pads from Man-A-Fre, 35-inch BFG AT KOs.
4. I like all different kids of wheeling from the go fast to go slow, I built this rig to do it all.
5. Married to Amy we have two kids: my son Dylan (3) and a baby girl Sienna (4 weeks old). Hobbies are surfing, wheeling, dirt bikes & photography. I work in the Off-Road industry selling advertising for Primedia’s publications.
261.5.JPG
TW moab06 6877.5.JPG
Picture 015.5.JPG

Last edited:
1.Dave and Yosh "The Adventure Duo"
2.Corona CA
3.1993 FZJ80 with too many mods to list - see sig
4.I bought and built this rig for overland/expedition type use. Got burnt out on the rockcawling scene.
5.Been wheeling for about 8 years now. Been together for 3 years. We are not married yet...
We are both Account Exec's for Openads Someday I want to start my own adventure company taking people out.
cruiserxd1.jpg

cimg1347ny9.jpg

cimg3774py7.jpg

cimg3779up0.jpg

cimg3782rc1.jpg

cimg3090copygs8.jpg

Last edited:
1. Shahram (pronounced Sha-ROM)
2. West Hills, CA
3. 96 FZJ80, Lockers, OME 3" Heavy Lift, BFG AT/KOs 285/75/16, ARB Non-Winch Front, Kaymar Tyre Jockey.
4. Daily Driver, "Expedition" off-roader. Gets me to the faraway campsites and surf spots.
5. Family Man, Libertarian, Eater of Spam and Pineapples. I deal in shipping, small freight and courier. If you need anything shipped within SoCal, gimme a buzz.

IMG_0039.jpg

029.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

Last edited:
1. James
2. Indio, CA
3. 1997 FZJ80, OME 850J/863 springs, L shocks, Terra Grapplers 295/75/R16, Conferr Rack, Sliders, OEM Rear Ladder, Slee Transfer Skid Plate, SS brake lines, Low Cost Rear Storage, CB, LEDs Tire Carrier, ARB Bull Bar, CDL Pin 7 ModFuture Mods: Lockers, Snorkle Goal: Outfit it as en expo rig.
4. Weekend and Long distrance travel rig. Last Long Range trip was in Jan. 07 and covered over 3K miles in Mexico.
5. I used to enjoy surfing, spent some time living in the Central Coast, (Cal Poly SLO Alum.) and have lived in OC and LA counties….Have surfed all over CA, Mexico, El Salvador and Peru….Multiple Myeloma forced some life changes for me and my family. Thank God I am doing much better today…Could not surf at all or do any physical activity last year. So-I got into wheeling as a new hobbie/distraction. I also mountain bike, do a bit of rock climbing, snowboarding, and golf, and enjoy surfing again.
Mexico Pics 147.jpg
Mexico Pics 265.jpg
Mexico Pics 384.jpg

Last edited:
1.First name. - Sam
2.Location. - Fullerton/Santa Monica
3.Year, make (LC or LX)...- 1996 Fzj80, hybrid slee with King suspension. 38"Toyo's
4.What you like to do with your ride? technical "hardcore" although I don't think I can be dubbed with that title just yet.
5.Any thing personal you would like to add? - Doin work.
hard line 11.jpg
PICT1096.JPG
PICT1101 edit.JPG

Last edited:
1 hat "hatman"
2pine mtn.club
3'93 lc OME3" KAYMAR /ARB 285/75 bfg at/ko
4 groceries hualer, off-roader
5 carpenter , paindude

HAT (made in THAILAND)

'93 fzj80
'87 fj60
'75 fj40 "sold"
socal801.jpg
socal802.jpg
socal803.jpg

Last edited:
1. Alan
2. North LA County
3. 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser: 33'' BFG AT KO, ARB Winch front bumper, OME Heavy Susp Kit, and Sarmon Product Steel T-Case skid plate.
4. This vehicle was bought primarily to go/fro the Great Outdoors of the West (Pacific States). (Big Rocks? I prefer around it but if need be - over it :D ) Double duty as the Family Hauler (loving that 3rd Row).
Top - is the very 1st time offroad,
Mid - (thanks Dave for the pic) 1st Annual Calico Clean Up
Bottom - Possible flop up at Rohwer Trail (North entrance)
DSCN0720.JPG
02170715122ac4.jpg
fr12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Ray...

2. Redlands

3. Mine, 93 with cloth and lockers... ome heavys (used---thanks Sam), 255/85/16 toyo M55's(great tire), cb, Ham 2m, custom weld on sliders, dual batts, 12v fridge, Working on a drawer system, rear bumper, front bumper with warn 8274, and some used J springs...

Cathys... 97 soon to be cloth with lockers, ome heavys, 305/70/16 mtr's(good tire but hummmmm, will replace with 285/75/16 M55's when they wear out.)

my newest toy... 73 fj40.. sbc, 3spd , stock ... will get a spring over and a few other tricks by this time next year....

4. Wheel, camp and explore, they also have to do double duty as we have three kids and the associated car seats and stuff.

5. Wonderful wife Cathy, 3 kids Meredith 5 John 3 and Audrey 2..... I have been a Railroad manager/director for 13+ years,

here are some shots Cathy took at moab... did gold bar, hells revenge, and steel bender(in the rain) had a great time and drove 10hrs there and 10hrs back at 80mph .... these are great rigs..
DSC02767(copy 1)(rev 1).jpg
DSC02763(copy 1)(rev 1).jpg
DSC02746(copy 1)(rev 1).jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine

1. Stan
2. Laguna Niguel, CA

3. 07 Fj Cruiser, purchased 4/06, ARB front/rack, Piaa Lights, Dual batt, Garmin Nav, Cameras frt/back, Bud Built Skids, Sonoran Steel LCA, OME lift, Nitto tires, Bandi mount, Dice Ipod, Gobi Ladder , ect.

4. Rock, expedition runs, remote camping, getting out into God's creation.

5. Attorney/Missionary, Married to Suzie 29yrs, 4 kids, Eric (25), Mark(23), Krisry(19), Jeff (15), grand daughter Heather (14 months). Dog - Golden Retriever Scout (5).

6. Pics
mojave1.JPG
mayentry.JPG

My Turn:

1. David Adler aka DJ
2. Hermosa Beach with as much time in Mammoth as possible
3. 1996 FZJ 80 Moonglow - with never ending mods.....it's an addiction
4. Family Truckster, Expedition ready (need some time off), Hardcore wannabe (still hurts to get body damage)
5. Shoe manufacturer on the weekdays.......Passions are (no particular order)Snow skiing, Mountain biking, Road biking, Camping, Wife Carol, Son Brian(7), Daughter Elise (4)
IMGP0363a.jpg
IMG_0716a.jpg
Silverwood 12-21-06 (35)a.jpg

91 FJ80

Family: Wife Arlene and two girls, 9 and 11 years. Married 16 years She has shown lots of patience, even when I drove my truck into a lake, and I carried her out in my arms. Live in the City of Orange.

Have enjoyed exibition type exploring locally for years in the local moutains and desert, and some technically challenging trails as well. Do a lot unplanned solo trips, when I say " I wonder where that trail goes"

Mods: Not a lot just good tires, and lots of real word practice. New shocks, radiator, p/s pump, blah blah blah.... The sig line says it all. I love this vehicle, it has never failed me.

Pictures, It's a 91 but see RayJon pictures, I swear mine is a twin of his old pics. I will try to dig up some new ones, I believe some were posted from our first meet at the Wildomar OHV area.

Work: Industrial Security, Catch bad guys. Fraud, Theft, etc. Several years as a local Police Officer. Work in Santa Ana.

1.Paul KI6OZM

2.Ventura 93004 Ca. USA

3.1994 FZJ80 color: 6M1
Slee Shortbus front Bumper, MetalTech Sliders, OME heavy's, Bilstein shocks, PBR pads on drilled front rotors, Mobil 1 and my second block with 212K on the rest of the parts.

4.Bought the rig in '98 and used it to go to work and back mostly, except for a few trips a year to Tahoe. In '02 took it for 3 weeks camping all over the pacific northwest, only checked the oil and loaded it up with gear. Camped 18 straight days and hit all kinds of roads with no problem. Finally retired it from a DD and now getting some mods done. Expedition type is the goal.

5.Manufacturing engineer. Been making chips on CNC's for 14 years plus. Beer snob. Married with child . If I'm not on MUD, i'm fragging in Day of Defeat, or watching hockey, F1, motocross and dreaming of how i used to ski the Palisades in Squaw Valley.

6.here's a pic from SurfNTurf '05 . Reflection on the hood of an '87 4Runner. And Judging the Sand Chef comp in '07.

Just would like to say thanks to all the group for being a class act in this sport and one that I am proud of.
Thanks for all the input and good comraderie. :beer:
pismopablo.jpg
judge.jpg

Last edited:
1.Braden.
2.Costa Mesa, CA.
3.2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, Patriot Blue (Mods have been ordered, paid for, but not installed yet. Unless you want to count my Rokmen "Mercinary" front bumber) .
4.I like anything with a pucker factor of at least 8, but expedition is something I would like to do. Maybe out in Colorado. I've seen some photo's on other foroms of some great exped. type trails out there.
5.No family, I like Photography, wheelin.

IMG_6155.jpg

Right after I installed the only "Mod" so far, the Rokmen "Merc" bumper
merc1.jpg

One of my favorite surfing shots that I took.
IMG_1821.jpg

Anyway, thats about it.

Last edited:
Tom from San Diego

1994 LC - 2.5" OME lift over 33" Terra Grapplers, Slee bumpers, Hanna Sliders, Dual batteries and Warn 9.5XP, misc lighting and electrical upgrades. Original owner.

2006 LX - No mods. I hope that some day I'll like it as much as I like my 80.

With the LC, I try to do moderately agressive wheeling, but also try to avoid certain damage. I've been hood deep in water, pinstriped, dragged over rocks, etc, but I always fix what I break so I avoid body damage. This is also the camping vehicle of choice.

With the LX, I do long family expeditions with long dirt trails, snow, and light offroading. I also use it pull a boat.

I'm very impressed with Mr. Toyota's work. I'm a fan of quality machines, and Toyota makes quality machines. I consider myself a LC enthusiast. The best days of my life always include the outdoors and my two kids.

I've been hanging out in mud for a few years now, but finally found my way into this room.

dirt0.jpg
tahoe.jpg

My favorite personal mud posts:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=93130
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=127366
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=94061

Finally

Name - Mo

Location - Mission Viejo, Ca

Year/Make - 1997 FZJ factory locked and flareless, Frankie's Off Road springs/OME shocks, ARB with MileMarker winch, Hanna sliders, Slee t-case skid and AC drier skid, fabbing rear bumper with swingout (on hold), American racing Mojaves Teflon finish, 315 BFG A/T KOs, Extreme Aire onboard air, CD, CB, 2M all in dash, Tillie Dog, Optima, Work in progress.

What I do - I use it as a Daily Driver and trail rig, like to hit the moderate to pretty challenging stuff and explore southwest US and Baja.

I am happily married to Renee for 5 years and have one son Scott and a Boston Terrier Tillie who is my usual co-pilot unless I am lucky enough to have the family tag along as well. I was a Paramedic for 15 years but am undergoing an accident forced career change and will hopefully be able to start my own off road based buisness. I have been a Toyota fanatic for the last 17 years and my biggest passions are wheeling/modding truck and mountain biking, I also do some off road racing in Baja, used to surf alot but my boards have been collecting dust lately.
Father Son Trip 046m.jpg
IMG_0021m.JPG
IMG_0026 m.JPG

few more
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0101m.JPG

Nice to see all you folks out here! :cheers:

1. Jeff

2. West Covina

3. I have a '91 Land Cruiser. Basically, everything stock. I bought it for hauling a growing family of mine.

4. Hope to get a nicer bumper (front and back) because they're pretty beaten up.

5. I used to and still does, fixed up older toyota models and when i was given the opportunity to own a LC, i couldn't pass it up. In my country(Philippines) if you own a Land Cruiser, it only means that you're either a politician or a wealthy businessman. ;)

6. Enuff B.S. here's my Rig!

CARE2LJJ.jpg

CAF22L7J.jpg

CA58IPDF.jpg

beauty.jpg

before i had the LC, I was driving an '81 Toyota Starlet-- talk about a change;p

DSC00006.jpg

again, it's a pleasure being here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom