the mysterious brake situation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

when i have the tire off the ground, i adjust it until i hear scraping. it's not a smooth constant though... more like its scraping only on part of the drum everytime that part comes around.

does this make me a candidate for having rotors turned?

I've decided to get mine turned now, and I've already got a FSM chassis and body in the mail primarily for the knuckle rebuild.
Maybe hopefully I will make these and my coarse spline birfs last long enough to go ARB F&R. :D So then I will pop a birf, have no money, and force my parents to buy me some longfields. :D ;)

well, i guess i'll have them turned. then i'll get them adjusted....
this feels like it's taking forever to fix.

if it only scraping in one spot you may have the shoes on backwards. Easy to do, check out the pics in haynes or the OEM book. Also, the shoes must seat prior to adj. They will be a little cocked when you install them.

Word for word from the Toyota manual.
...turn the adjusting nut until the shoes are expanded and the adjusting nut cannot be turned further. Then, depress the brake pedal and try to expand the shoes further so as to insure proper contact against the drum.
Now, turn the adjusting nut in reverse direction, by moving the tool tip from the wheel rim toward the center, and carefully retract the shoes until the wheel can be turned lightly.
"A number of notches to be returned is from 4 to 5."
Install the plugs in the shoe adjusting holes.

ok, i have adjusted and fooled around for a while.
it tracks streight now, wheels seem to be grabbing the same (we'll see how long that lasts), but i still have to pull the pedel back up after i use the brake... it just sits wherever i quit pushing.

do i need to do something about the booster?

i was reading in the manual, and it said something about booster oil???

You have your pedal spring hooked up?

yeah, and it' band new too.

So, booster vacuum must be holding it down. What if you disconnect the booster vacuum hose and push the pedal down. Does it spring back then?

negative.
with the booster hooked up or not, no coming back.

I can't think but that you have a bad MC.

no, it still doesn't spring back in that situation.

with the engine running there is vacume.
when i push on the pedel (with the master off) the push rod comes out.
when i let off the brake the push rod gets sucked back into the booster.
the booster maintains the vacume.
the pedel does not return.
if i disconnect the vacume tube, the vacume is maintained inside the booster.
to make the vacume go away, i pull the pushrod all the way out (the air then gets sucked in the hole where the pushrod was) and then i put the pushrod back in.

putting the master back on does not make any difference in the above outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom