Builds The great Stoffel (HJ61 build) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi
I have had a similar problem with my HJ61
Everything was working but vacuum was insufficient to be useful
Brakes felt unboosted and bad, 12ht motor wouldn’t always turn off every time
Would turn off sometimes or have a delay before vacuum switch off valve operated.
After a lot of component testing and diagnosis i discovered it was the alternator belt slipping at low rpm and idle
It felt tight but was not enough tension
Once I unbolted and lifted the air con compressor I could get the alternator belt properly tight
All vacuum problems were fixed instantly and haven’t returned
I believe that the 24v alternator with vacuum pump requires a bit of force to turn at idle / low rpm hence the belt slip and poor vacuum problems
The new 12ht replacement belts I put in were from terrain tamer
Good luck
Regards Alex

Well, after a stupid amount of time and money it looks like life has caught up to me and this little project is going to be put on hold. After waiting to take this to a mechanic for months to repair the brakes, not only did the mechanic blow me off, but I drove it to work earlier this week and the trans appears to be toast. 2nd, 5th, and reverse are all impossible to get into and 1st is a huge struggle. I simply don't have time to find someone to fix this right now. It's killing me but I'm putting it in storage for the time being. Hopefully in 6 months to a year I can get back to this and get it back where it needs to be.

So, in the mean time, the wife pointed out that we still have a desire to go camping and a TON of gear to do just that soooooo, looks like the daily driver will be turned into a part time camping rig. The ride is a 2014 Tundra, pretty much bone stock. I have a RCI bed rack on the way and we will be moving the Tepui RTT over to the truck and continuing on with the adventure! This isn't the end of Stoffel, just a time out!

IMG_20190706_200908842_HDR-L.jpg

I saw it out at ARD when I was there last week! Can't wait to see that beaut back on the road!
Are you cheating on me ;) It's a dope 61 so continue

Spotted today, Stoffel out in his new habitat! We made a move and are now in Colorado. I'm hoping to get it into a restorer around here and get a few things done, but I'm excited to use it in the meantime! This was about 35 mins from my house today in an area we can't wait to explore more!

DSC01040-XL.jpg

DSC01048-XL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom