The definitive, "Found a good deal on CL" thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL......I think it comes with a one week training course to get certified for set up and take down

It probably takes the full week to set it up and take it down just once. Personally I like GOLDY's easy up and down tent they used on Casner Mountian run 2015. That and the air mattress for old bones. Adding a 11,000# plus trailer would restrict me to using our 04 V8 4Runner on trails like Casner Mountian.

It probably takes the full week to set it up and take it down just once. Personally I like GOLDY's easy up and down tent they used on Casner Mountian run 2015. That and the air mattress for old bones. Adding a 11,000# plus trailer would restrict me to using our 04 V8 4Runner on trails like Casner Mountian.

That was the maiden voyage of what Murf dubbed "The Tent Mahal"
our campsite and eric and tanya's in back.JPG
inside our wilderness taj-ma-hal.JPG

GOLDY's setup was epic - all it was missing was a jacuzzi

GOLDY's setup was epic - all it was missing was a jacuzzi

I agree it's just I don't have a inverter large enough to handle the water and air pumps. Air mattress pump I can handle. For a heater figure a loop of copper tubing around the campfire could heat it fast enough. Simple bypass valve to regular the heat and your set. With my HVAC back ground would be pretty simple.

Looks real clean!

Very smart 4Runner and congrats!
Thanks! 2-owner car, last one for 18 years, complete service history, garaged, looks like it's never been off-road. Front seat leather is sad and both front outer CV boots are cracked, but otherwise in good shape. Oh, and it's the correct Arizona color.

Last edited:
Thanks! 2-owner car, last one for 18 years, complete service history, garaged, looks like it'n never been off-road. Front seat leather is sad and both front outer CV boots are cracked, but otherwise in good shape. Oh, and it's the correct Arizona color.

Very nice. I like 4Runner with fender flares like that. It is very hard to find a Gen3 with no paint oxidation issue. I have even seen a white one with oxidation problem. How many miles?

It has 211k which I think is reasonable.

Nice find Rex!
I was afraid it was the rig I was on the way to see yesterday ('97 SR5 with 143,000 miles and a factory e-locker $4700). I was 1 hour short.:meh:

Still on the hunt.

If they're reasonably priced, they disappear fast. I've been looking for about six months. Good luck with the search!

Guess I got lucky. My hunt was maybe a week. Plan was to let a grown child use it while going to school. My only must was automatic transmission and 4X4. A 99 SR5 4X4 with 151k miles for $4,200. No loxker or fender flares. Proof of timing belt at 90K. Having owned a 3rd gen for a few years my first choice now would be a 01/02 4X4 Limited with traction control, stability control and climate control. Most I've seen on CL are 2WD. The 01/02 are rare in 4X4. Those that do there are asking a fortune, have high miles ,in bad shape or a combination of all three.

Nice find Rex!
I was afraid it was the rig I was on the way to see yesterday ('97 SR5 with 143,000 miles and a factory e-locker $4700). I was 1 hour short.:meh:

Still on the hunt.

Haven't heard from figured you missed it or wasn't something you wanted. Obviously seller had set up other appointments before yours. Hopefully he at least called you so you didn't waste a trip.

Guess I got lucky. My hunt was maybe a week. Plan was to let a grown child use it while going to school. My only must was automatic transmission and 4X4. A 99 SR5 4X4 with 151k miles for $4,200. No loxker or fender flares. Proof of timing belt at 90K. Having owned a 3rd gen for a few years my first choice now would be a 01/02 4X4 Limited with traction control, stability control and climate control. Most I've seen on CL are 2WD. The 01/02 are rare in 4X4. Those that do there are asking a fortune, have high miles ,in bad shape or a combination of all three.

There is a very expensive brake booster/master in 01/02.

Expensive, how much? The advantage of the 4Runners is because they sold so many the used parts are a lot easier to find. Plus a lot cheaper.

MSRP $1,716.04. Not sure if it is a good idea to buy used for this critical part, unless you know the part has low mileage.

'99, I did some research. I can buy a complete belt kit (with our company discount) at our local company vendor for $215~. Then placed several calls to shops in the area for quotes on a parts and labor install. Anywhere from $850 to $1100.
I have diicovered here is a trend with these CL adds, a lot of them are listed due to that ominous 90k belt mark. 80k, 178k, 250k...
Seems folks want to dump them before dishing out another thousand dollars.:hmm:

Recently bought a 2000 Taco for my son. Knew going into it that I was going to replace the belt, pump, radiator and all hoses going into it. Even with a "low mileage" rig, at this age, you need to understand that it will require a lot of rubber. My sons taco only had 168k miles on it. Hoses were dry and some very hard. Replaced the valve cover gaskets up on the truck. It is now very mechanically sound and should be problem free for a few years now. Even with the extra investment, about $1,600 in factory parts (thanks to Murph and CO.) an older 4 runner is still reasonable. The Tacos still command a premium however...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom